D47 yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, when you bottle you just tell people to keep them cold? I used to do that before I got a keg.
Exactly [emoji111] I haven't done any trial bottles left at basement temp - might be something interesting to do [emoji16]

There's a discussion on another forum where a fella is debunking the idea that you can cold crash to stop a ferment at a certain point, then stabilize with sorbate/sulfites after racking and not have it start up again when the brew warms up. I remembered that you are a cold crasher and I thought you might have done that with one of your high gravity brews.

I always thought cold crash to stop then multiple rackings or filtering to remove yeast.

I always thought cold crash to stop then multiple rackings or filtering to remove yeast.

In theory, there is a point at which so little yeast will be left that the ones remaining may be stressed enough to no longer be able to replicate and increase yeast cell counts to the point at which the fermentation would "restart." This is particularly evident in keeved ciders which are nutrient-limited. Nutrients are required for maintenance of cell wall health during yeast budding.

Sulfites and sorbates further inhibit yeast activity and reduce budding, but as was pointed out above, there is still the chance to restart a fermentation if yeast health/count is high.

Firing up a fresh batch using D47 -- this time I decided to try rehydrating by adding 1C warm h20 + 1/4tsp generic yeast nutrient + 1/4tsp white sugar -- 1st time rehydrating for a cider...after 45mins no noticeable growth like S04 gives ya - but D47 has a known lag phase [emoji16]

4gals 100% AJ + 12cans FAJC

OG 1.081

Targeting a cold crash at 1.02

Cheers [emoji111]

Update: 1hr 15mins into ferment...getting airlock activity every 4mins....which is amazing 4 a D47 batch....credit the rehydrate!
SG 1.032 this afternoon...after 10days. Tossed in fridge to cold crash after tasting it & it was awesome! So bit higher SG than originally planned [emoji16] Cheers[emoji111]

SG 1.032 this afternoon...after 10days. Tossed in fridge to cold crash after tasting it & it was awesome! So bit higher SG than originally planned [emoji16] Cheers[emoji111]
5days of cold crashing in my fridge (28-32F) - measured SG and it's same 1.032 -- zero drop. Will bottle tomorrow [emoji111]

That's really high for a "finished" cider.

I'd keep one bottle in a warm place for a couple weeks(but inside a kettle or something) to test if it's truly finished.

That's really high for a "finished" cider.

I'd keep one bottle in a warm place for a couple weeks(but inside a kettle or something) to test if it's truly finished.
Beauty of the cold crash & rack - then storing in fridge....is its done when I want it to be done [emoji57] No issues ever using this protocol...with D47(or S04 my other go to yeast). Cheers [emoji111]

Last edited:
You never had a continued fermentation at 38 deg. F.?

I have. Either really bubbly or really dry.

You never had a continued fermentation at 38 deg. F.?

I have. Either really bubbly or really dry.
So far nope - though I keep my fridge at 34-36F range[emoji111][emoji57]

Exactly [emoji111] I haven't done any trial bottles left at basement temp - might be something interesting to do [emoji16]
So I decided to give this a whirl - tossed a D47 6.7% FG 1.012 cider in a grolsch bottle & let it sit at room temp for 1month. Just popped it open....gotta nice psssstttt...and medium carb on pouring into glass. Cheers! Tasty as ever [emoji111] As always...YRMV!

Last edited:
So I decided to give this a whirl - tossed a D47 6.7% FG 1.012 cider in a grolsch bottle & let it sit at room temp for 1month. Just popped it open....gotta nice psssstttt...and medium carb on pouring into glass. Cheers! Tasty as ever [emoji111] As always...YRMV!
Whoops here's the pic of my pour...

Cheers [emoji111]

0405191235a.jpeg

So has anyone tried D47 above 70F?

Viable temp range is up to 86F per Lalvin.

Cheers [emoji111]

68F is top end.....

I always ferment in low to mid 60s. [emoji111]

That's not correct. The specs linked to in post #2 say:
"Desirable fermentation temperature: 15-30°C (59-86°F). It is recommended to start the ferment at 17°C (62°F) or higher."

Someone up thread apparently misread 86 as 68... :-| I thought that seemed low for a wine yeast, so I checked the PDF.

Edit: Oops. I see you just mentioned that above me. Hadn't gotten that far yet, and 68 had been mentioned as the top end a couple of times earlier in the thread...

I contacted Lalvin few months back about the 68/86 discrepancy -- and multiple replies from them indicated 86F was the upper end & they'd be updating their docs et al. I've only fermented in the low to mid 60s....with great success. May just fire off a small summer batch in the low to mid 70s to see how it turns out.

Cheers [emoji111]

Curious to hear from others about their D47 experiences.

My lag time after pinching a rehydrated batch seems to vary from a handful of hours to 24hrs -- while fermenting in low to upper 60s range. I only use 1pak in a 5-6gal batch & never any added nutrients during ferment -- Zero rhino farts Ever [emoji41]

My ABV tends to top out at 14% in cider & closer to 13% in my Welches vinos -- not sure why the difference. I also make ciders in the 6-8% range with D47.

I cold crash everything for 48-72hrs. Lees always form a thick caramel syrup like consistency.

Cheers to D47 [emoji111]

Last edited:
@bmd2k1
What’s the lower end of temps that are possible?
I’m thinking of starting a cyser with a gravity of .090
My garage is at 50f which means fermentation would be around 54-55.
The house is a bit too warm at 70.

Ps thanks for starting this thread.

@bmd2k1
What’s the lower end of temps that are possible?
I’m thinking of starting a cyser with a gravity of .090
My garage is at 50f which means fermentation would be around 54-55.
The house is a bit too warm at 70.

Ps thanks for starting this thread.
I only go to the low 60s...

The Lalvin spec sheet says the optimal range is 59-86F.
https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/en/united-states/product-details/lalvin-icv-d47/

However, I know others here do ferment in the 50s -- maybe @RPh_Guy can chime in with his experiences as I believe that's his sweet spot temp range [emoji16]

Cheers [emoji111]

@AzOr
Great temperature for making cider! The relatively low temperature keeps the apple flavor from blowing out the airlock.

Couple for choices for 50°F fermentation off the top of my head...
EC-1118 / Red Star Premier Cuvee (neutral)
K1-V1116 (estery)
DV10 (neutral)
R-HST (neutral)

Many yeasts may work lower than their listed range but there's a risk of stalling.

@AzOr
Great temperature for making cider! The relatively low temperature keeps the apple flavor from blowing out the airlock.

Couple for choices for 50°F fermentation off the top of my head...
EC-1118 / Red Star Premier Cuvee (neutral)
K1-V1116 (estery)
DV10 (neutral)
R-HST (neutral)

Many yeasts may work lower than their listed range but there's a risk of stalling.

I had a pro cider maker say dv10 is great for showcasing acid, and thus worked well in high acid low tannin blends like some culinary apples are. They use it a lot for their "modern" ciders without cider fruit.

Latest posts

Back