D-Rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freisste

Reaction score
Probably an obvious answer to this question, but I'm just not coming to it...

New neighbors just moved in and the guy is from England. What better way to welcome them to the neighborhood than to assume he likes English beers and brew an extra special bitter as an extra special welcome? Admit it, you want to be my neighbor.

Anyway, for no rhyme or reason (other than the title containing ESB), I chose Wyeast 1968 London ESB Ale Yeast. The description suggests the ideal temp range is 64-72*f. No problem, plan is to set the fermentation chamber to 63 and ramp it up a degree per day after the first day or two. However, the description also strongly suggests a diacetyl rest. Also not really a problem, but I've always done d-rests on lagers that were fermented cold (so at least 15-20* temp increase). Is there going to be any real help in raising the temperature from 67 to 70? I don't have to raise the temperature to 85, do I? Thanks.

No, raising it up to the low 70s will be fine. It should only take a day or two, and if you're ramping the temperature anyway it may not even be needed.

I use this yeast all the time. Start out at 63-64F and like you stated, raise a degree per day. Be prepared around day 3 to ramp up to 70F, as this yeast plows through sugar. When the krausen starts to fall is when I ramp up to 70F (usually day 3 for 1968/002/007). I can, on average get 75-77% attenuation from this strain (1968/002)

FWIW, I do this on all beers. I had diacetyl in my very first beer (AG) and after some advice from a friend/pro brewer, I ramp up at the end of all fermentations now with no ill effect.

I use this yeast all the time. Start out at 63-64F and like you stated, raise a degree per day. Be prepared around day 3 to ramp up to 70F, as this yeast plows through sugar. When the krausen starts to fall is when I ramp up to 70F (usually day 3 for 1968/002/007). I can, on average get 75-77% attenuation from this strain (1968/002)

FWIW, I do this on all beers. I had diacetyl in my very first beer (AG) and after some advice from a friend/pro brewer, I ramp up at the end of all fermentations now with no ill effect.

Cool, thanks. I usually increase the temp near the end of fermentation, I just never considered that a d-rest.

Kind of surprised you get such good attenuation (based on the package description). Do you mash low to keep fermentable sugars? Being an extra special bitter, I actually wanted to keep a bit of maltiness and keep attenuation down around 70%. Wouldn't be the end of the world, I just don't want to get too dry. I mashed at 153, though I'm not sure that alone will keep FG up (150 is my standard for IPAs/APAs).

Thanks for the feedback.

Cool, thanks. I usually increase the temp near the end of fermentation, I just never considered that a d-rest.

Kind of surprised you get such good attenuation (based on the package description). Do you mash low to keep fermentable sugars? Being an extra special bitter, I actually wanted to keep a bit of maltiness and keep attenuation down around 70%. Wouldn't be the end of the world, I just don't want to get too dry. I mashed at 153, though I'm not sure that alone will keep FG up (150 is my standard for IPAs/APAs).

Thanks for the feedback.

When I use 002/1968, I purposely mash lower, usually 150F for 75 min. I like the profile of the yeast, but I also like my hop forward beers to be dry. If I use 007, I can mash higher due to its increased attenuation.

Back