D. M. E. {???}

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JacktheKnife

Reaction score
Howdy Ya'll,

I have been reading posts and have noticed 'dme',
mentioned many times. And kits!
I wondered what {dme} was till I noticed at the homebrew headquarters
It is just dried malt extract.
The price was 2x3x4x higher than syrup and I thought to myself,
{Self} .....
No wonder I haven't used much powder, it costs more than syrup.
Unless there is a taste advantage to using DME over the syrup,
why do people use it?

And those kits?
Why buy a kit unless nothing else was available?
I bought one kit.
It was 12 years ago and it was an introduction to brewing.
Period!
Their ain't enough of anything to do more.
And it wasn't any good either.
Forget kits, and buy syrup rather than DME.
Cheaper.

Luck Ya'll and good brewing

J. Winters Knife

Poet Author

and 'Killer of Whitemen'

It's about $1.50 more a pound then LME but:
It stores well.
Dissolves faster.
Has less chance for scorching.
Use less DME then LME. (DME is 0.8125 to 1 over LME).
The only drawback I've found is that DME requires the full 60-minute boil.

Wild

Yeah, what he said. That and the fact that I'm not smart enough to compairison shop or figure out how to make it taste like beer unless somebody else has started the wort ( kit ) for me . Aren't you the guy who posted the Nine Lb. Hammer recipe? That seems simple enough that even I could do it. I just haven't worked up the nerve to try it yet. Kinda like taking the training wheels off . I'm noy ready yet ! :eek:

Liquid costs just a slight bit less than dry if you buy the cans but if you buy liquid in bulk it is a good bit cheaper. The bulk liquid does not have much of a shelf life and this is what leads me to dry. The reasons mentioned above are also true and lead to my decision but the storability is the main one for me.

Suds and Dyer,

Yes, I see that shelf life is one of the advantages of powder over syrup.
After my wreck I was in the hospital 5 months including rehab.
I came home and not only was my homebrew gone, but for 6 bottles,
my syrup was moldy, I did use it, and it worked...
but it didn't taste very good and eventually I threw it out,
what WASTE.

My friends who had keys to my house and my Dad, would come out and feed my horses, Sugarmay Dollymay and old Red.
They thought I would die as I was in a coma 5 weeks.
So they drank up all my my homebrew!
Hmmm

DME would have been alright.
If I were going to move and be way out in the woods for years,
running the old trapline and hunting with my hounds,
dme would be on my yearly grocery list.
Here in Dallas county, however I go to the homebrew supply monthly.
And the cheaper syrup is mostly what I use.

Suds dude,

Yes, the 'Hammer' is my recipe and whether 9lb, 8lb, or the 7.5lb {which is almost ready,}
Sheza my ababy.

Thanks for remembering.

Lets get ignert and go coon hunting, or hog?

J. Knife

The DME is always going to produce a lighter colored brew. The liquids are always too dark, darker than the style any way.

I stored 3 lb bags (over 40 pounds worth) of DME in one of my primaries for 5 years and they were as good as the day I purchased them. All dry and powdery. Not one clump. Try that with syrup and your pilsner will be as dark as stout. (Cans darken the syrup.) :D

Is that a black bass?

And I don't really know the answer to that question, but...
I would guess that syrup being un-dried and therefore, fresher,
would make better tasting beer-ale.
As long as it fresh itself.
Real fresh syrup may be better than real fresh dried.
But less than fresh syurp would be funky.
Go for dried.
I was thinking about big buys to get my beer-ale produced cheaper.
But it occured to me how much brewing I would have to do to get all 300 Gallons brewed while the syrup was at its best.

Hmmmmmm

35-40 batches...

Carry the 2...

Hmmmm

I could get the barrels set up like at the Homebrew Headquarters
on their sides, with taps on them.
It would look cool, and I will ask old Gary about the age of syrup if it is kept like that.

Or ... anyone want to split a barrell?

Knife

Jack- Jesus , man ! That's a hard time ! I can't blame the guys for drinking your brew. You weren't exactly using it at the time. Maybe it was their way to keep you close to them. To kind of, however prematurely, cherish your memory. That would've been my excuse as I opened the last bottle. Kidding. You had a Hell of a time. Still got your horses? We've got five and a BLM burro that eats feed, sings and gives Donkey Kisses. Don't knock it.
On the LME/DME debate, let me say that it appears to be a 'different strokes" type thing. The end result is still pretty much the same. As long as we're all happy. With your permission, I'd like to try one of your Hammers for myself. I've got the 5 lb. recipe written down in my brewlog. I promise to use LME , to sort of prematurely cherish your memory. :D

Evenin,

Where do you live to have 5 horses and a burro?
Hey, a singing buro that gives kisses too,
thats cool.
My friends, when I was in the coma thing,
would come out to my 25 acres, and
build fires out in the woods, and sit by them at night.
They would listen to classic recordings we made.
Our band was "the White Brothers."
And needless to say, drink up all my homebrew.

I am happy to have such good friends,
however I came back to my house after an absence of 8 months.
And after all the **** I had been through I really needed a homebrew.
I opened the door to the brewery...

And there was only six... '6'.... six, bottles in there which had not been sacrificed to the concept of 'cherishing my memory.'

I was in this disability hearing,
and the judge who happened to be x-military, have horses,
and was a genius with a great sense of humor said:

"Jack, why do you brew your annual 50-100 gallons of homebrew between first and last killing frost?'
I replied: "In order to minimize the incidence of airborne spoilage micro-organisms.
{I was kinda showing off}
The judge then asked:
'But why do you stop at 100 gallons?"
I said well... because you get tired of it after 100 gallons.
I mean, the same recipe, the same cook, {me}
it just gets old thats all.
One gets to really craving variety.
"Yeah after 100 gallons of the ale you make
I will bet I would get tired of it too."

The 'stuff' I have been making with my syrup has been noticably
thick and kinda sweet.
Gary at the supply, says it needs more time in the secondary.
I will try DME as I was thinking about larger buys and as it would 'keep' DME may just be the thing.

Thanks Ya'll

J. Knife and Sandymay

Good story about the Judge. Apparently, they're a lot cooler in Tx. than they are in NC. The fact that your buddies left you 6 homebrews shows that they hadn't given up on you. Maybe they felt that a man coming out of a coma shouldn't drink more than 6 at a sitting ( and knew you well enough to know you would) For fear of slipping back in . I'll bet they also felt that homebrewing would be theraputic for you as you built back your stock. Once more; If my mind was still clear enough after drinking all your brew by a fire in your woods, that would seem like a reasonable excuse for me. Help me sleep at night after I wrote you off for dead and started using up all your stuff like a vulture. That's a poor attempt at humor, I know. I'll never mention it again.
I live in eastern NC near New Bern. We bought 20 acres here about three years ago. We got it just before land started going crazy here. Recently, one of my neighbors sold 30 acres for 350 k . That's much less than I paid. If I had it to do over again today, I could probably afford a nice place in the Projects. Don't know how the Burro would like it. The neighbors might not dig him either. Believe it or not, some people just aren't into hearing a donkey sing acapella at 6:30 AM because he's ready to eat. Don't know what's happening to the world these days.

20 acres! Thats cool,
And yes, my friends did leave me 6- 22 oz bottles,
it could have been worse.

I met another dude who had land somewhere here in Texas,
horses and cattle, a regular ranch and he is a homebrewer too.
Actually I did not meet him but rather found his ranch-homebrewing website, it was well done and reminded me of what I would like my website to be if I ever get it together. It was like I knew the guy.

Land !
"It is the only thing that lasts."
Gerald O' Hara
{'Scarlets Dad'}

Even more important than that,
now-a-days one must have land to survive.
Land to grow food, to get firewood,
to have a degree of security,
as between the hoards of the masses on one end,
and the govt. on the other...
but wait, it gets worse.
In a world where every bite of food, every ounce of fuel,
ones power, water, clothes, entertainment, protection, {even ones beer!!!}
Comes from others.
From a network of supply roads.
Planes, trucks, telephones, all that gas, all that power, and all those people getting a piece every step of the way.
It builds.
Each step,
from producer, buyer, banker, truckdriver, factory,
trucker again, store, taxes !!!
I have heard that there are 101 taxes on an egg!
One egg!
And thats not to mention profit.

Ninty percent of every beer one buys in a 'store' is profit and tax !!!

It is that way with everything.
And as long as it works it is efficient.

But it reminds me of an old song...

"There used to be an old man
who lived around here
he made his own clothes
and brewed his own beer"

Red Green

That is the point, I think.
avoid crime, taxes, traffic,
high gas prices,
accidents, diseases, cops,
truck bombs, whatever...
Just stay home.

and brew ones own beer

J. Knife

No, just a six pounder.

No, you didn't get politacal...that was a reference to suds living in Eastern NC and the BBQ sauce they like there. It's a Hatfield/McCoy Vinegar/Mustard kind of thing. I'd say which I prefer, but suds might come and try to get his beer back. :D

Knife- Icouldn't agree more on the land thing. I've got neighbors across the field, but they look to be about an inch tall from here. It's not that I'm up to no good, I just like some space. We've got twelve clear acres of pasture out front and seven of woods. We live in the wooded part. It's mostly hardwoods, rare in NC. I dig it.
El P.- The sauce you're referring to is a South Carolina thing. Ours is a vinegar base with hot peppers, a tiny bit of ketchup( more for color than anything else) and a little brown sugar. At least I think that's how Mom made it. It only goes on BBQ, which in this part of the world is a pig, cooked whole and chopped finely by a man who has been up drinking since about 6am. I know that up North, anything done on a grill is BBQ. Down in Texas( no offense to either of you gentlemen) it's beef. NC barbecue is the One True Q. However, I am a great admirer of what you guys do down there with the dry rub of spices on your beef. Looks good to me!
Sorry about the whole BBQ rant. Damn near turned into spamming. I apologize. Ya'll wanna talk religion? :D

sudsmonkey said:
Ours is a vinegar base with hot peppers, a tiny bit of ketchup( more for color than anything else) and a little brown sugar.
That's the sauce I'm referring to...the only thing that should ever touch smoked pork. I sprinkle a little on mine after I pull it, and nobody here can figure out my secret...they just know it's better than anything they've ever had before. :cool:
sudsmonkey said:
NC barbecue is the One True Q. However, I am a great admirer of what you guys do down there with the dry rub of spices on your beef. Looks good to me!
Sorry about the whole BBQ rant. Damn near turned into spamming. I apologize. Ya'll wanna talk religion? :D
That ought to get a good war going. :D

Hey ya'll,

I would really like the recipe for the vineagar-mustard, bbq hog sauce, and its variations.
Being a amateur gourmet chef as well as a hog hunter,
{have two hog traps capable of holding 12- 200lb hog.}
this strange new sauce is intriguing.

My Texas style sauce is basically,
ketchup, worchestershire sauce, syrup, KC-masterpiece sauce,

Thanks in advance

J. Knife

Hey Jack,

I hate to take this too much further off topic, so check here for some pork sauce recipes. Not too sure how well any of these will work with feral hogs.

Jack- Is that a leg-hold trap or more like a hog box? Don't you have javelina down there, and is that the hog you're referring to ? Tejas is so cool! Biggest thing we got here is black bears. Meat is roughly the same color as the outside of the bear, and greasy. Do you or El P. have a good squirrell recipe?
As far as Mom's sauce recipe, she took it to the grave with her. Ain't cooked a hog since. No point to it , really. No sauce. Cooked a couple of goats, though. This is the part where you think quietly to yourself: " Lord, deliver us from homebrewing rednecks!". They're good eating !
El P. - That first sauce sounds like Mom's . Almost brought a tear to my eyes just reading it. ours was always made up in a gallon jug or in a Jim Beam half gallon bottle. Makes my mouth water just to think about it! To stay on topic, I'll say that I bet it'd go good with a homebrew.

Howdy Suds,

My Hog traps are a '6' design, also called a 'silo' trap.
I have pictures and post one soon.

Imagine a '6'.
Made out of cattle panels.
Wired to steel fence posts,
Real good.

The inside of the '6', is not wired tight, but ...
thats where the Hog gets in.

A big Hog can pull any fence post in the world if they can get their nose under it.
They are powerful to the right, the left, forwards, upwards, but...

Hog can't pull.

There is no door on the trap.
The Hog can root in and as long as there is feed more can root in...
But it is kinda like the roach motel,

They can root in,
but they can't root out.

J. Knife

16. Thought for the day: Men are like fine wine . . They
start out
as grapes, and it's up to the women to stomp the crap out
of them
until they turn into something acceptable to have dinner
with.

Souds like the same concept as a pound net. Imagine, if you will, a net leading out from the shore. A fish traveling along the shore will hit the net and turn to follow it . About 100 yards from the shore, he'll go into a chamber shaped like a heart. He enters at the top of the heart and exits at the bottom. This takes him into the kitchen or bunt of the net. What separates us from fish ( and hogs) is that we're smart enough to get out. Thank God for evolution. It's a little known fact that fish ( and hogs) can't make beer. It's good to be high on the food ( beer) chain.

Where is that damned S.faced icon?

Back