Cyser stuck ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushpilot

Reaction score
This is the first time I have had a cysers not ferment dry. Here is the synopsis ...

Jan 7
Rehydrated 5 g of K1V-1116 yeast in Goferm Evolution, pitched into
* 1.0 gallon Motts Apple juice
* 1/2 gallon Great Value pear juice
* 1 can (12 oz) Kroger Frozen Apple Juice Concentrate
* Honey to boost OG from 1.055 to 1.072 (failed to note amount, about 1 cup)
* 1.5 tsp Fermaid-O
* 3/4 tsp Pectic enzyme
* Bentonite
* 1/4 tsp Wine tannin

The usual aeration and degassing the first few days, no unusual smells or anything.

Jan 15
* SG 1.006 (still in primary)

Jan 19
* Racked into 2 carboys (about 3/4 gal each) with 1 campden in each
* pH 3.6
* SG 1.004

Jan 29
* Racked
* SG 1.004

I am thinking that it is stalled, rather than finished. I suspect the cause is the Camden I added on Jan 19, at first racking.

However, I also have heard that pear juice leaves a little sweetness (SG?) behind. Could that be the cause of the slightly higher FG?

I was hoping to bottle carb these, but am afraid to do so with the higher FG than expected.

I see three options

1. Stabilize and bottle.
2. Add a little honey, and see what happens.
3. Try to repitch. I have never done this.

Suggestions?

I'd guess with the racking you left most of your yeast behind and what was left, went in with the Campden tablets and prevented any further fermentation. A change to a warmer environment might provide a kick to get them going, though it is possible that SG is where they tapped out.

I have had stabilized mead that I added fruit to in secondary and then weeks later the yeast chewed through all of the added sugar including the honey that I added for back sweetening... all of that to say that I would move it to a warmer area and wait another week to see if it budges at all.

Thanks @MightyMosin

It is currently at 64F, so yes I could move it into a warmer room.

I am thinking of starting a new batch of traditional or cyser, and topping this one with it while in full ferment.

I like the idea of topping off with another Cyser that is actively fermenting. You are adding some viable and working yeast that will go after that remaining sugar.

I don't know the best way to do this as I wouldn't want too much yeast that might get stressed by not having enough sugars... though I guess you probably wouldn't be siphoning up too much as it will be well dispersed if you stir prior to getting the amount to add to the first batch. If you go that route, definitely let us know how it works out; I'm curious.

Well, today I topped it with a fermenting traditional, rather than cyser.

Why traditional? Because it is what I have going ...

Latest posts

Back