Curious things today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

houser31

Reaction score
I opened up my bottles beers today for a tasting to see if they were ready... yes they were but noticed some very different thing that happen...

I brewed and imperial ipas recipe that I ended up hitting my number pretty close to target... only difference was what I used to dry hop with...

First bottle was dry hopped with cascade and had no real noticeable hops aroma or bitterness... taste is great of course...

2nd bottle I dry hopped with citra and had a huge aroma and bitterness... how is this possible?

Exact same beer but 2 different out comes... suggestions?

First, it's not the exact same beer, you used different hops for the dry hopping. Did you use the same amount of dry hops for each batch? If so, that's why. Citra has much higher concentration of acids and oils.

Citra can be 12%AA or more and it has a particularly pungent aroma. Cascade I've seen as low as 5 or 6%AA and it has a very mild almost lemony aroma. That's your difference right there.

I agree with both the above and if you want an interesting couple combinations try Citra and Cascade together, then try Citra and Amarillo. Completely different beers.....for about 3 to 5 months. After that the aroma will fade so much that they will be nearly identical.

Pour six ounces of each of your beers into one glass to get an idea of a Citra/Centennial combo.

All the above.

Brewed a Citra IPA past weekend and planned to dry hop with Cascade. I'm afraid it might get covered up with the aroma from the late Citra additions. Thought about putting some Chinook in for dry hop as well, but I'm still debating. I feel like it would muddy the aromas from the other hops. Not sure the piney aroma would go as well. Centennial or more Citra might work better.

All the above.

Brewed a Citra IPA past weekend and planned to dry hop with Cascade. I'm afraid it might get covered up with the aroma from the late Citra additions. Thought about putting some Chinook in for dry hop as well, but I'm still debating. I feel like it would muddy the aromas from the other hops. Not sure the piney aroma would go as well. Centennial or more Citra might work better.

Mixing Citra and Cascade for dry hopping gets me pure grapefruit. It seems to enhance both of the hops.:rockin::ban:

Only difference was the dry hopping... the citra beer was alot more bitter

To get added bitterness the hops would have to be added when the wort was above about 180 degrees F. as that is when the hop oils are isomerized to give the bitterness. If the beer that was dry hopped with Citra was more bitter it was a difference in the boil, not the dry hop.

Back