Curious about mix ratios…

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MerryMutt

Reaction score
I started making mead a few months ago. Skunked my first 1gal batch, doubled down and made a great 6gal second batch. It’s still really young, but tastes better than some of the local brewery offerings.

Kinda curious about how y’all mix your must, though. I’ve not noticed anyone elaborating, so I’ll explain.

When you intend to make a 2.5lb honey 1 gallon batch, do you:

a) Add honey completely and top off with water for 1gal,
b) Add honey to 1gal of water (creating a must ~154oz if my math is right), or
c) Figure out the measures to create the must ratio from option ‘b’ in the 1gal option ‘a’ size? (It’s like 1:5.8 or something, based on 2.5lbs/gal)

I’ve seen a LOT of differing methods, and surprisingly none of the ones I’ve seen seem to take into account the volume of the honey.

Currently, I’m using option ‘a’, which creates a must with a honey to water ratio of 1:4.8. Which doesn’t seem like a lot, but it makes for pretty potent mead.

It might also explain why my second batch is popping corks…

Use enough honey and water to get your target Original Gravity. (OG) regardless of volume.

Or alternatively blend your honey and water to 1 gallon total volume.

Either works.

If your popping corks regardless of how you blended your must. Your yeast are still active and you must have had some residual sugar for them to consume. (Your ferment was not done.)

When using the calculators to evaluate potential alcohol they almost always assume a total volume of 1 gallon honey and water combined.

Latest posts

Back