Culturing Trillium Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marc1

Reaction score
Has anyone tried culturing the yeast from cans of Trillium? There should be yeast in there, I think I'm going to give it a try.

Where did that strain information come from? Is that a best guess or confirmed with the brewery? Thanks!

ffs, Trillium Brewing has like a hundred different recipes.
One of them was actually named "Trillium", and being as it's a saison/farmhouse ale, there's a vanishingly small chance the yeast used was wlp007 :drunk:

So, was the OP looking for "Trillium" yeast - or just some random yeast that Trillium Brewing uses?
Which could be darned near anything, given their repertoire...

Cheers!

ffs, Trillium Brewing has like a hundred different recipes.
One of them was actually named "Trillium", and being as it's a saison/farmhouse ale, there's a vanishingly small chance the yeast used was wlp007 :drunk:

So, was the OP looking for "Trillium" yeast - or just some random yeast that Trillium Brewing uses?
Which could be darned near anything, given their repertoire...

Cheers!

I forgot they had funky beer - I've only been there a couple of times and what I've tried was the Northeast Pale Ale / IPA stuff. So that's what I'm asking about. I've seen lots of speculation about what yeast they use for it, but nothing about whether anyone has cultured up some yeast from their cans to try out.

Short answer you can probably build some up. I'd use at least two cans. Let them sit in the fridge undisturbed for a couple days. Slowly pour out 70% of the beer into a glass, then swirl the rest and pour into a low volume low gravity starter (1.020-1.030). Leave it on a stir plate for a couple days. The only commercial yeast I've ever harvested so far is Allagash, and it took a solid 30 hours to really get going, but once it did it went nuts.

Have at it, playing with stuff like this is fun.

Back