Cultivating yeast from high gravity Belgian

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

drummermattie02

Active Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2009
Messages
44
Reaction score
2
Location
Houston, TX
I'm about to embark on an Abt 12 type beer, and I would love to use yeast cultivated from a St. Bernardus bottle, but have read a lot about the possibility of yeast mutating in high-alcohol environments. Has anyone successfully used yeast cultivated from St. Bernardus Abt 12 (or similar), or am I better off just going with a White Labs product and making a large starter? Thanks!
 

martymoat

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2007
Messages
66
Reaction score
1
Location
Folcroft, PA
Dont really have to much knowledge on the subject but i would think that taking the little amount of yeast that you would get from the bottles that is already stressed to high hell from the huge beer its already in then trying to rebuild it up to be healthy enough to reuse in another huge beer would just be both a pain in the balls and very problem addict, Also is it even the primary strain or is it a neutral strain used just to carbonate the beer.....?
 

weirdboy

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
May 18, 2009
Messages
8,220
Reaction score
495
Location
Los Angeles
Yes I have cultivated yeast from a high gravity Belgian. I made a starter, then did a step-up, and at that point I pitched onto a tripel I made. Worked fine, beer tastes great, and I got 80% attenuation.

EDIT:

correction it was 81.4% apparent attenuation, looking at my notes
 

N3Bruce

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Joined
Nov 20, 2012
Messages
61
Reaction score
11
Location
Reisterstown
I am brewing a Belgian Dubbel using yeast I cultivated from the bottom of 2 bottle of Dominion's Belgian Trippel. Starting gravity was at 1.070, and days in it is down to 1.040 in a 68 degree basement. The hydrometer sample tasted like a good Belgian, albeit a bit sweet, but it is still working pretty steadily. I did a Belgian Witbier back in July, and it took almost 2 weeks to finish, and about a month for the flavors to mellow out.
 
Top