CTZ question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Retrofit

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok I know that CTZ (Columbus, Tomahawk, Zeus) are essentially the same plant- hence CTZ.

I've read recently that *technically* Zeus is different than Columbus.

I've got a two year hermaphrodite Zeus and I inherited a two year old Columbus.

My question is, to save space- do I plant it with the Zeus? Or do I keep it separate from the Zeus?

I found my Zeus to be pleasantly aromatic and nice bitter so I'm happy to have 'more' by planting the Columbus. Just not sure where I should put it.

Any advice is appreciated.

My Zeus has reddish bines, whereas I heard that Columbus keeps them green, so you could grown them close together I suppose.

My Zeus though is the most vigorous of the 7 varieties I grow, so maybe give them a little room.

My Zeus has reddish bines, whereas I heard that Columbus keeps them green, so you could grown them close together I suppose.

My Zeus though is the most vigorous of the 7 varieties I grow, so maybe give them a little room.

If you have the space, why not grow em both? :mug:

I've only had "Columbus" in my hopyard, so I can't say I have ever done a side-by-side comparison.

If you have the space, why not grow em both? :mug:

I'd like to! Just found Columbus rhizomes this year for sale....

Unfortunately I ordered 5 more varieties last month, and really don't have room for them yet (they're in 5-gal buckets for now).

My 2 big hobbies are brewing and gardening - they both overlap with hops growing, so I tend to go a little overboard sometimes.... banana dance?:ban:

Back