Crystal hop crazy!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oinyo

Reaction score
Ever since I made my first crystal hop hack i have been hooked to the thick head that comes with the addition.

Now every beer I make has a nice boil of crystal hops added in and each one has a very tasty thick head like guiness.

I think this may become my trademark ;)

thick head breweries?
:p

Crystal hops affecting head consistency? I've used crystal hops before but can't say I noticed that effect.

He said the same thing in another thread and it confused the heck outta me, too.

I think he means crystal malt.

Erm yeah... :drunk: Crystal malt is what I meant sorry lol.

For some reason i was thinking malt but typed in hops :p

" Crystal malts
Crystal malts are different from the other types of malts. They undergo a process that changes the starches in the grain to sugars and become caramelized. They can give a sweet somewhat caramel taste to the brew. They add to the body and head retention of beers. Crystal malts range in color from light tan to almost mahogany. 15L to 120L or so. The darker grains have more caramel/toffee taste than the lighter ones.

Caramunich - A darker and more flavorful version of caravienne. 70L

Carastan - A British malt similar to American or Belgian crystal malts. 30L

Caravienne - A crystal malt from Belgium that has a slightly sweet and toasty flavor. 25L
"

http://www.brew-monkey.com/brewschool/maltguide.php

I suspected as much. I, too, rarely make a batch without some form of cara- or crystal. Usually some of both.

(I also like Crystal Hops. Don't see them around all too much, in too many recipes I mean, so I don't keep them in stock.)

Hey woah, this sounds like exactly what I want.... is there a way to get this benefit into a beer that is already 10 days in primary?

Hey woah, this sounds like exactly what I want.... is there a way to get this benefit into a beer that is already 10 days in primary?

Yes there is a way. You can put some maltodextrin or lactose in the beer. My choice was always md when I was doing extract. It is the same as carapils.

Boil 4-6 oz in a couple cups of water, let it cool and pour into the beer.

Ah, I see. Well, there is nothing wrong with those kits. They work and make decent beer.

What I'm thinking of are different kits, like Brewer's Best kits, or those from some of the online homebrew stores (like austinhomebrew.com) that come with some grains as well.

Here's an example of one of my recipes made with some grains:

Dead Guy Clone

1 pound Cara-Munich
1 pound Munich
1/2 pound crystal 40L

Steep grains in a bag at 155 degrees for 30 minutes. Sparge with 1/2 gallon 170 degree water. Allow grains to drip into pot, but don't squeeze. Discard grains. Bring to a boil and add:

4lbs Alexanders Pale LME
4LBS LDME
(I substituted all XLDME)

Hops:
1 oz perle 60 mins
1/4 oz perle 30 minutes
1/4 oz perle 5 mins
1/4 oz saaz 5 mins.

In that case, the grains will give body, color, flavor, and a decent head while the extract provides the fermentables.

You may be very happy with the kit you have, though, so don't worry about it right now. Just keep in mind some options for the next batch.

Back