Crying me a river

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AFAJ Brew Guy

Reaction score
So I finally got around to tasting my 80/-. Lets just say I am very disappointed. I realize that the beer is still young at only 1 month, with two weeks of that being in the bottle, but it is severely lacking. The carb is not where I want it, it is very thin. The flavors have not quite come together yet. Think I got a bit to high on the ferment temp, well I know I didn't control the temp the way that I would like. Because of this, the beer has a bit too many fruity esters and I don't think it attenuated all the way. It is way off balance. The sad part is, you can actually pick out the high caramel and other needed flavors, but they are way in the back behind the flaws.

Now these are the things that I know are wrong with the beer. Instead of sitting here thinking about all of the shortcomings, I should be taking steps to correct these problems. This is after all what I good brewer would do. However it is a bit discouraging seeing as how my last two beers have not turned out anyway like I was hoping. So you see, I feel like a shi*y brewer, not a good one.

I will get over it, but for right now, oh woe is me.

I am going to give them both another week and try them again. I know that there will be some improvement as they age, bit I don't think it will be enough. Time will tell.

Till then, I am going to drink...

Instead of sitting here thinking about all of the shortcomings, I should be taking steps to correct these problems.

You really need to give the beer more time before making any judgements on it. The carb may come up and the flavors and body will definitely improve. Green beer can have some wierd flavors that you may interpret as flaws.

I'd shelve it for a few more weeks then come back to it and see how it is.

I had a 70/- last year that I felt the same about. It tasted like crap, and I was pi$$ed! After being in the bottle 6-8 weeks, all of a sudden, it was one of the best beers ever.
Give it some time, you might just be amazed!

Yeah, give it some time. Malty beers like a Scotch 80 improve with age so it's only going to get better. Proper carbination will also improve the texture and perception.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Like I said last night these are things that I know. I am not usually the type to say that a beer is cr@p after it is only a week old. I was just having a self loathing moment last night. It started off with things completely unrelated to beer and just crept its way over.

That is one of the things I love about it here. Not a single one of you said, "Hey stupid, let it age, what were you expecting bottled gold!" You told me the reality of the situation, reality is what I needed to hear.

So yeah, thanks, I do appreciate it.

So I spent the better part of today going over my brewing practices. I blogged about and listed a few of the key areas I need to attend to.

I just wanted to say thanks again to all of you that talked me down.

Since I am no longer drunk or rambling, I am going to let this one die. Just wanted to say thanks again. :mug:

Back