Cryhavoc Yeast Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cryhav0c

Reaction score
First of all I'd just like to let the people on this website that participate in the discussions with all their information and data that they have enabled me, via their excellent input, to actually build my own brewing rig and produce my first 3 batches of beer. Where I live there is absolutely nobody that participates in this hobby that I'm aware of and as a result this site has been incredibly beneficial toward my efforts and I see no reason that it shouldn't continue to be. The latter belonged in an introductory area, I'm sure.

Now that I have the "Thank you's" out of the way I have a problem I'm uncertain about and haven't been able to find the correct answer via my searches.

I, (Because I'm known as Cryhavoc on the internet and have been for about 15 years) purchased some White Labs Signature Series Cry Havoc yeast, (WLP862 - use before OCT 22 11). In my exuberance I did purchase this in July, (I live in Louisiana) and when it arrived the "cold pack" was completely melted and everything in the container was at outside temperature, (about 90+). However, I was home when it arrived and I refrigerated it at once. I have had it about 2 weeks.

This is my second starter, (I have a stir plate) and I boiled 1400ml of water with 6oz DME for 15 minutes. I cooled to 70 degrees and had had my yeast out for about 2 hours prior to "pitching".

The next morning I saw no activity so I removed it from the stir plate and let it sit and still didn't see any yeast residue. I tested the gravity and it was at 1.040 so I tasted the sample and it was sweet.

Does this indicate my yeast was damaged in transit?

This evening I have repeated my efforts with another vial and will know more tomorrow I suppose.

Perhaps I should mention that I used an airlock on the first attempt with an Erlenmeyer flask which is still sitting there looking at me with an attitude and no activity that I can detect. The second attempt is with another Erlenmeyer flask using a piece of tin foil. Also on the first attempt I utilized my oxygen, (sanitized of course) to aerate the wort/DME. The second attempt I merely have shaken and placed upon the stir plate hoping for better results.

I wish to become proficient at this and what to task experienced people with their input regarding my mistakes or missteps.

I'll add that my sanitation procedures are what I consider to be extremely good and I have what I consider to be top of the line equipment and test implements all calibrated and verified.

I kegged my first brew, & American Brown Ale and it's outstanding, although bitter. I think it'll settle a bit. I have 2 5gal batches of a Sam Adams Summer Ale clone fermenting, 5 gal of which hit the keg tonight, (I think I went overboard with the lemon zest LOL).

I have built an HERMS system to brew with with Ranco controllers until I get my control panel built. The pics are in my little "Man Cave".

Any input will be very welcome and thanks again!

IMG_3161a.jpg

IMG_3181a.jpg

If the yeast is dead, it would settle out as brown trub along with what every was created from the starter. If it is alive it would settle out as white layer on top of the trub. If you look at this forum there was a guy with a photo of a starter in a jar with the separation of yeast and trub (I think it is call first starter). Does your look like that?

Although I have had one starter not bubble furiously and I have had a couple esp. on the stir plate that ferment out in hrs when I was not looking at them (yes I'm always playing with my yeastise, they are pets... with benefits). That said they always have some signs that they fermented, bubbling CO2 (even a little), kausen higher up the conical from now fallen krausen etc etc.

Clem

I had the same issue with some yeast I ordered from AHS and did not refrigerate it. After about a week I made a starter and to my surprise there is some activity. I'm not sure why yours died but maybe I had luck on my side.

I'd wait 2-3 days before declaring the yeast DOA. It could be that the package reached temps that cooked the yeast, but you haven't given it enough time to know for sure.

Back