Crush at Austin Homebrew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EamusCatuli

Reaction score
Hey does anyone know how good the crush is from AHS? Anyone not happy with their efficiency from it?

I was looking to buy some ingredients from them but im a crush nazi after I got a 50% eff. from my LHBS crush.

they are pretty good over there I got decent efficency with all of their kits with the exception of one, but I had accidentally let that one sit in the trunk of my car for about a month through the month of july, so probably my fault really.

You could always request that they run your order through the mill twice to be sure.

As a crushnazi, I see a Barley Crusher in your future. :D

Buy your own mill.

...Ironically, the same thing AHS told me when I informed them of the massive stuck sparge I had with my last order I received that was crushed by them (888 RIS).

Buy your own mill.

...Ironically, the same thing AHS told me when I informed them of the massive stuck sparge I had with my last order I received that was crushed by them (888 RIS).

Bummer, maybe I should buy some rice hulls just to make sure I dont get what you did.

Spending at least $150 on a mill hurts though :(

I've never had a problem with their crush, but I batch sparge and stir a bunch.

I've had similar success with their crush (also batch sparge), and my efficiency has been 82% reliably over the past 5 batches.

That said, I'm still adding a Barley Crusher to my brew equipment inventory.

We usually get positive feedback about the efficiency of our kits. The only way to have the perfect crush for your taste and ability to extract is to have your own mill.

What efficiency is your software set to?

Let's say the crush is good. I would suggest padding your base grain until you reach your desired OG. And then as your technique improves you can back off on the base grain.

Forrest

Bummer, maybe I should buy some rice hulls just to make sure I dont get what you did.

Spending at least $150 on a mill hurts though :(

It was only once and the other 10-12 batches were ok...but, when you don't have control over the crush, a mighty big variable is out of your hands. It was enough to convince me I wanted that control.

We usually get positive feedback about the efficiency of our kits. The only way to have the perfect crush for your taste and ability to extract is to have your own mill.

What efficiency is your software set to?

Let's say the crush is good. I would suggest padding your base grain until you reach your desired OG. And then as your technique improves you can back off on the base grain.

Forrest

I have mine set for 75% Which seems to be a pretty good average for what Ive done in the past.

We have our recipe kits set for 70%. That way if your technique is not the best you will still come close. And if your technique is good then you can feel extra good when you hit over 75%

I would formulate your recipes for 70% so you have a cushion. Are you going to feel bad if you get an extra point of alcohol? You will feel bad if you don't hit the OG.

Forrest

get your own mill
cuts down on the bitching time when something goes wrong.
Pays for it self in the first 500-700 lb of grain
( I think your grain will keep better and longer if it has not been crushed )

I have a freezer full of crushed grain from AHS... the crush looks much better than my last order of grain from NB.

Here's some crushed aromatic malt:
grain-1.jpg

I have a freezer full of crushed grain from AHS... the crush looks much better than my last order of grain from NB.

Here's some crushed aromatic malt:
grain-1.jpg

Looks good to me! I already ordered some grain, so we will see how it comes!

Latest posts

Back