Crooked Caps with Bench Capper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckinin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Super Agata bench capper. I've used it to bottle about 4 batches now. On the last batch the caps didn't seem to go on straight. When you look across the top of the bottle one end is raised above the other. I opened a bottle or two and they're not carbonated after about 4 weeks so I suspect they didn't seal right. Had anyone else experienced this problem? Is the capper shot or could it be the caps?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have the "Agata," the slightly flimsier cousin of the Super Agata. It sits on a shelf, gathering dust because I could never get it to seat caps properly. The force of capping slightly bends the Agata's metal column, which results in the plunger going off-axis. The caps seat a little to the side. I don't trust it.

I like my Red Baron wing capper. Never a problem with that.

Do you ever lube your capping bell with a little cooking oil? If not, try that every couple of batches.

I retired my wing capper (which I disliked) in favor of the super bench capper. Mine does a great job of capping anything I throw at it. I have it mounted on a piece of 3/4" board so it's portable yet very stable.

I did use a little cooking oil when I first bought it and that seemed to loosen it up. I'll give it another little shot of oil and see if that helps for next time. It's good to know that others do that every couple batches to keep it going. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I also tried the Super Agata bench capper, I didn't care for it much, I tried a little oil on it and the caps still stuck, I tried to use my floor corker with a capper attachment, that was worse yet, ironically, I can cap a case of bottles with the wing capper in no time at all.
I guess it is all about personal preference and which equipment you feel like hurling through an open window...lol

After breaking a few bottles with the wing capper I picked up a bench model from the LHBS, thinking that would solve all my problems. Many of the caps don't seat right as the OP mentions. Most bottles also get kind of wedged in the bell when capping. I used the oil but it made no difference on sealing success or bottles wedging in the bell.

I've never bought bottles, always recycled, and I think the breakage problem with the wing capper only happened with long neck bottles. Recycled Sierra Nevada bottles seem to be okay with the wing capper.

I use the Super Agata. I lower the ram to the bottle and then twist the bottle back and forth to center it below the cap. Just like making sure a cartridge is centered in a reloading press.
I have found some bottles have a smaller outside diameter. The caps on these bottles will stick a little and the cap will have a slight flare side to side.
This is the reason for sticking in the bell. They do seal.
I have gotten into the habit of lifting the bottle up with the ram after capping and they release easily.
My old German bottles are the smallest outside diameter.

I have the Super Agata as well, and have had the same problem. I use a lot of Franziskaner 1L bottles and the wing capper does not work with them. I resorted to doing a double cap press turning the bottle 1/2 turn in between. I've not had a single failed seal since I started doing this. Maybe 20 cases?
The unit is just too lightweight and has to much slop in the joints. I even put metal wedges in to take up the slop and it made no difference. It just sucks.

I have the Super Agata as well, and have had the same problem. I use a lot of Franziskaner 1L bottles and the wing capper does not work with them. I resorted to doing a double cap press turning the bottle 1/2 turn in between. I've not had a single failed seal since I started doing this. Maybe 20 cases?
The unit is just too lightweight and has to much slop in the joints. I even put metal wedges in to take up the slop and it made no difference. It just sucks.

^^^ I also do a press, 1/2 turn, second press with this capper and that has worked for me.

(As others have said, this unit has a lot of "flex" where the metal upright main shaft meets the base, I think that's the cause)

All the way down, 1/2 turn, all the way down again. I press hard enough to leave a circular impression (or actually, two half-circular making a whole) in the center of the cap.

Latest posts

Back