Critique my stout recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killian_77

Reaction score
I have been nosing around for a while trying to put together my first recipe so I can get away from a kit. I figured a stout would be the most forgiving so here it goes:

6lb Amber LME
.5lb Munich
.5lb Crystal 160L
.5lb Chocolate Malt
.5lb Roasted Barley
.25lb Oats
1.5 oz East Kent Goldings (60min)

Let me know what you think. If anyone could run the numbers for me that would be great as well. Im thinking I might need a tad more hops.
Thanks
Killian

I agree your hop rate is a bit slight. Depending on the alpha acid of the hops you are using, you may want to double them. Assuming an alpha acid of 5%, you may want to consider 1.5 oz at the start of your boil, another ounce about half way through, then finish with 1/2 to 1 ounce at the end of the boil (your wort is still hot enough to sanitize the hops). This will give you a bit more bitterness, and some hop aroma.

I'm also concerned this may not be as big as you want. Now, as a disclaimer, I brew all grain, but you need to remember you won't get a full conversion of the munich malt merely by steeping it. I would add at least another pound of malt extract (maybe 2). You may want to add a little more Munich malt as well.

Good luck -- let us know how it turns out.

On Brewsmith, your recipe gets the following:

Est OG 1.045
Est FG 1.012
Est ABV 4.34%
SRM 33.4
IBU 28.4

Bumping your bittering hops to 2 oz gets you up to 37.1 IBU's.
Bumping your extract 1 lb gets your OG at 1.052, abv 5.05% and 2 lbs gets your OG at 1.060, abv 5.75%. If you bump it 2lbs, you may want to kick in another .5 oz of the hops to balance.

Thats more like the numbers I was looking for. Thanks for running those for me.

if your only doing extract + steeping leave out the oats. At .25 lbs you won't notice them, and if they aren't mashed all they contribute is a bunch of proteins since they won't be converted.

Latest posts

Back