creating more yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merleti

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
If you add a little to much priming sugar will it create more yeast in the bottle as it matures? I ask this because I had a batch that I did not mix the priming sugar in well. Some bottles gushed after 10 sec after opening were others didn't fizz much at all. It has been 7 months since the bottling. The group that gushes at 10 sec tasted better than the one that doesn't fizz much. I say better as in the beer tasted finished and the less carb tasted like it needed a little more time. The beer is a coffee porter at 5.9%. The brewing practices were poor and did leave some off flavors.

Sort of.

Yeast are gonna reproduce when they are eating. But that's not the point.

Beer tastes different carbed vs. uncarbed. That may be the flavor difference you are experiencing.

Additional sugar will grow more yeast, it also causes overcarbonation, which is why you have gushers. Just beyond gushers is bottle bombs, so you DO NOT want to add extra sugar. If you want more yeast in the bottles just stir it up a little before racking to your bottling bucket. As far as the batch in question goes, carbed beer tastes better than uncarbed beer. It is the lack of carbonation, not lack of yeast that is hurting the flavor. Just be sure and mix the priming sugar very well.

I'm sorry for labeling this thread wrong.
I had a batch that part of it was over carbed. It grew more yeast and the over all flavor was better.

After 7 months in the bottle it doesn't seem like two weeks would make that much difference. The difference in the amount of yeast between an under and over-carbed bottle is pretty typically small if there is any at all. What if you pour one of each and let both go completely flat. Is the flavor different?

I also forgot to add. The beer was stored in a Florida house so other than January having a few days of 70 inside the average temp is around 78 deg. Iv'e only let the beer sit in a controlled environment of 67 deg for a couple of weeks. If what your saying is true then I can over carb beer and drink it in a couple of weeks without it tasting like an unfinished beer?

Back