Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
christpuncher123 said:
This was a 5 gallon batch 6lbs 2row, 1.5lbs flaked corn, 1.5lbs minute rice, .5oz Williamette, .5oz crystal and nottingham yeast.

What do you think of the Nottingham yeast in this beer? I'm currently mashing in a very similar batch myself and planning on using the Kolsch yeast for my version. I find that Nottingham has a tart finish – and wanted to keep this beer on the sweeter side. Curious to see how it pairs with your mix of adjuncts in the brew. Looks delicious!

Got to say this is one ugly mash! Looks like stagnant dishwater. I've got a lot of confidence in this beer however given the author of the recipe!

image-2721082130.jpg

I used the us-05 and the nottingham both and preferred the nottingham because with my ac on right now it's 65 in my basement. The nottingham seems more crisp than the us-05 which seems to have more of a sweet floral flavor.

msa8967 said:
Do you mind telling me which brand of minute rice you used? I once tried using Walmart's house brand with poor results.

That's not good! Just about to start my boil using that exact same rice! What was the character that didn't turn out right with this rice?

That's not good! Just about to start my boil using that exact same rice! What was the character that didn't turn out right with this rice?

Now that I think back i made the mistake of running the rice through my grain crusher along with all of the other grain so I ended up with very small pieces of rice passing through my filter. It took a very long time to get to a clear voulaf (runnings).

Mission accomplished. Left a little more in the kettle to keep the trub out - efficiency with a new process change was higher than what was planned at 1048 / 90% efficiency. (Yikes!). It will be beer!!!

image-3685774039.jpg

Now that I think back i made the mistake of running the rice through my grain crusher along with all of the other grain so I ended up with very small pieces of rice passing through my filter. It took a very long time to get to a clear voulaf (runnings).

That would be the problem. Don't put the Rice or the corn maze though the gain crusher. I use the instant rice from Walmart/Sam's club rice with no problems. I use about 8 oz of the instant rice.

my first batch of this had an off flavor which I ended up diagnosing to be burnt matter left on my elements from scorching on the previous batch... dumped it...

BUT!, i could tell that this was a good beer, so i brewed it again...

I just kegged my second batch of this 11 days from crusing the grain... i added gelatin to clear it.. and drinking one a day later this morning, This beer is the most boring thing i ever brewed... however, that being said... it's a huge success of a brew, it's exactly what it's meant to be... really cheap, really easy to brew, ready to drink in very short time, and will have all the BMC drinkers saying "you really brewed this??? this is GREAT!!!!" as opposed to having them try your IPA and saying "hum... i it's ok.. i guess...... kinda weird... "

i'll post up a picture once it's crystal clear... there is still a tiny haze remaining...

G_Brew said:
my first batch of this had an off flavor which I ended up diagnosing to be burnt matter left on my elements from scorching on the previous batch... dumped it...

I just kegged my second batch of this 11 days from crusing the grain... i added gelatin to clear it.. and drinking one a day later this morning, This beer is the most boring thing i ever brewed... however, that being said... it's a huge success of a brew, it's exactly what it's meant to be... really cheap, really easy to brew, ready to drink in very short time, and will have all the BMC drinkers saying "you really brewed this??? this is GREAT!!!!" as opposed to having them try your IPA and saying "hum... i it's ok.. i guess...... kinda weird... "

i'll post up a picture once it's crystal clear... there is still a tiny haze remaining...

Boring beer? Never heard such madness?!? :p My yeast does tricks in my pint glass to entertain me lol

G_Brew said:

I find myself going through stages in my beer exploration. When I first started brewing it was all about big beers - imperial IPAs and stouts - anything with flavor that knocked your taste buds out. I was a hop beer fanatic and it was all I really drank for a long time. Then I got on a malty beer kick and started exploring other styles from other countries. This really opened my eyes to the complexity of other styles and I found it challenging to try and re-create those beers in my home process. Once I started noticing the complexity beyond and behind the hops I developed a real appreciation for some of the lighter beer styles. In the summer there's nothing more refreshing than a crisp, light, low ABV lager or other 'summer beer' and it's a definite challenge to brew one well!

I find myself going through stages in my beer exploration. When I first started brewing it was all about big beers - imperial IPAs and stouts - anything with flavor that knocked your taste buds out. I was a hop beer fanatic and it was all I really drank for a long time. Then I got on a malty beer kick and started exploring other styles from other countries. This really opened my eyes to the complexity of other styles and I found it challenging to try and re-create those beers in my home process. Once I started noticing the complexity beyond and behind the hops I developed a real appreciation for some of the lighter beer styles. In the summer there's nothing more refreshing than a crisp, light, low ABV lager or other 'summer beer' and it's a definite challenge to brew one well!

you know what, i couldn't agree more, i'm the same way.... BUT, i will say that i prefer a 2-3 month lagered pilsner over something like this, however i am very proud of this beer.... and i definately agree that these light beers are actually alot harder to pull off than heavier beers...

but i can't deny that anything i brew with rice and corn is meant to find a happy medium between craft beer and something BMC drinkers can enjoy.... and that's why i brewed this beer, and it is exactly what i was hoping it would be.... so really i have nothing but positive thoughts about this brew...

G_Brew said:
you know what, i couldn't agree more, i'm the same way.... BUT, i will say that i prefer a 2-3 month lagered pilsner over something like this, however i am very proud of this beer.... and i definately agree that these light beers are actually alot harder to pull off than heavier beers...

but i can't deny that anything i brew with rice and corn is meant to find a happy medium between craft beer and something BMC drinkers can enjoy.... and that's why i brewed this beer, and it is exactly what i was hoping it would be.... so really i have nothing but positive thoughts about this brew...

Sorry, I wasn't being snarky - and agree with your comments and preference for a non-adjunct beer. I'm actually brewing this primarily for my brother and sister in law who are big time bud light lime drinkers. We host quite a few parties during CFB season and trying to have something on tap for all tastes. I'm not above a bud light lime on occasion myself on a hot day - but like you, it's not my go to beer. That's the reason I have a Helles and two Saisons in process - need a summer quencher for me!

Brewing 10 gallons of this right now with Wyeast 1056 American Ale yeast. Always a fav during the hot summer when an IPA or a Stout would put me in a coma.

Got this in my fermenting carboy right now. Punched it into Beersmith and turned it into a partial mash. Looking forward to it, I've never done a Cream Ale.

Getting ready to mash in. I'm doing this BIAB with no chill, I did this recipe before but pitched it on a yeast cake from a RyePA...(it had a little Rye kick to it)
I'm excited to see how this turns out with a clean S-05.

I do have to agree that while it may not be the most "exciting" brew, it is a good one for the "non-believers" at parties. I did sub in a pound of Vienna, though for a little more color and flavor....

I made a 10 gal batch and split it in half and added black cherries to one batch and mmm is it good. Just put it on tap and drinking some now. Can't wait till it is fully carbed. By tomorrow it should taste even better.

Took a gravity reading today on my version with WLP029 brewed on 7/20 and I'm sitting at 1010 and pretty clear. Will take another reading on Sunday and likely rack to keg at that time. From what I can tell, gelatin isn't needed as its already pretty bright at 65F in primary. Not sure where people are getting a corn flavor with this beer as its pretty crisp and clean in the OP's original formulation from the hydrometer sample. We'll see if that changes under carbonation and with some age.

makomachine said:
Not sure where people are getting a corn flavor with this beer as its pretty crisp and clean in the OP's original formulation from the hydrometer sample. We'll see if that changes under carbonation and with some age.

I agree; i'm guessing those who do have corn flavor have boil issues, prejudice, or are tweakers who have a "better way".

Speaking of the latter, I used Notty in this because I never used it before and thought this would be a good as any platform to get a feel for the yeast. Nottingham is supposed to be very flocculant if you read the package but I've got to say that the beers I have made with 029 are far and above clearer that those with any other yeast at the end of fermentation.
Consequently, I did gelatin and cold crashed this yesterday. I still can't wait to try it but I would not say Nottingham is "highly flocculant"...

From Danstar:
"The Nottingham strain was selected for its highly flocculant & relatively full attenuation properties. It produces low concentrations of fruity and estery aromas ..."

I have used nottingham on this and other beers. It is not as highly flocculant as what the package might sound. However, it is on the high end of the spectrum and will clear up nicely given some time. I mainly chose nottingham for this because of the crispness it gives the beer

Just tried my third batch of this and it is amazing. I kept the recipe simple (6# 2-row, 2# corn, 1# rice), but mashed low (149-150) and fermented in the upper 50s (S-05). It came out incredibly dry and crisp (went from 1.050 to 1.006). I really rushed this one through the process too - 12 day fermentation, cold crashed w/ gelatin for 3 days, then force carb in a keg.

I was expecting it to be sub-par due to rushing so much (inventory was low so I had to rush it) but it came out great.

Nottingham will be a bit more crisp is my guess, but I find it tends to mute some subtle malt character and lend a tartness for a while until it ages a month or more. I love it in a pale ale where hops are more towards the foreground. I'd also say that while it floculates, it's not a 'high' floculation, and it's not as floculant as WLP029 at two weeks in primary for the beers I've used it in.

I totally agree. The batch I made of this with nottingham dis not lose it's tartness until after three weeks in the keg.

flatrockbrewing said:
Made this recipe a few weeks ago and we kegged then cold conditioned. Thinking about dry hopping with cascade to give it a bit more bitterness and aroma.

Dry hopping will not add much bitterness but it will give you a nice aroma.

Made this recipe a few weeks ago and we kegged then cold conditioned. Thinking about dry hopping with cascade to give it a bit more bitterness and aroma.

Were you thinking about dry hopping the next batch or trying to dry hop the current kegged batch? I have dry hopped in the kegs with great results although it takes longer for the aroma to build up when it is cold. The nice thing is that you can sample it each day to see how it developes and then stop when you are satisfied.

I made 11 gallons of this recipe for my brother's wedding and well...Not only did all 110 bottles disappear in 3 hours at the reception I got raves from at least 10 people on how "awesome" this beer was! I thought making good light tasting brew was more difficult than this but as my 4th attempt at All Grain this beer came out so good that I'm just bummed that I didn't save at least a few bottles from the wedding to sample out on my deck this week!

I will be brewing Cream of Three Crops in my rotations every 3rd batch! Now that I'm yeast harvesting I'm making 11 gallons of this brew for about $15 worth of ingredients (including shipping and hops and I use well water).

:D

FuBaR1218 said:
Has anyone used WLP 080 Cream Ale blend or would that not be appropriate for this?

It worked great for me. I let mine condition for at least 3 weeks. I can't control ferm. Temps yet so they were a little skunky/green for the first few weeks. But cream ale yeast for a cream ale made sense to me. Good luck.

It worked great for me. I let mine condition for at least 3 weeks. I can't control ferm. Temps yet so they were a little skunky/green for the first few weeks. But cream ale yeast for a cream ale made sense to me. Good luck.

Was this for the first few weeks of bottle conditioning or after the 2-3 weeks it takes to carb up?

Just drank a bottle of this that was bottles on 2-27 and it was awesome! Much better than at the 3 week bottle conditioned time. Mine fermented and was stored in the mid 60s so maybe that is what took it so long to mature. After having that one last night, I am going to re-brew it and have it for my friends when they come over. Definitely a beer that everyone can drink!

msa8967 said:
Was this for the first few weeks of bottle conditioning or after the 2-3 weeks it takes to carb up?

2 to 3 after carb. So i had mine in bottles for 5 weeks before the "green" started to go away. I'll be brewing this again this weekend. 5 gal. With the cream ale yeast. It's a great beer.

Brewing another 10gal batch this weekend.folks who like a crisp, mild beer love this one. i am going to up the hops addition just a little, and try to get the bu:gu ratio more balanced.

My turn!

image-2265325199.jpg

BAM! Used Notty ( first time ever in 2 yrs home brewing). It fermented out in 12 days or so and I hit it w/ gelatin and cold crashed for 3-4 days at 36 F. After 8 days bottle conditioning, it was carbed but I did get the corn note mentioned earlier. This should NOT be confused with DMS! This was fresh corn like and a little disappointing. This ( today) is 12 days in the bottle and it is hands down BMC all the way with no off notes. Great Beer Biermuncher... Thanks for sharing! :mug:

Back