cream ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

defenestrate

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
first go at it, hows it look?

Category: 6 - Light Hybrid Beer
Subcategory: A - Cream Ale
Kettle Volume: 8.73 gal (S.G.: 1.034)
Boil Duration: 1.5 hr
Evaporation: 3.0 gal
Water Volume Added: 0.0 gal
Final Volume: 5.5 gal (S.G.: 1.054)
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 80.5%
Evap/Hour: 2 gal

Ingredients:
4.0 lb 2-Row Brewers Malt
3.0 lb German 2-row Pils
1.5 lb Yellow Corn (Pregelatinized Flakes)
1.5 lb Rice Flakes
10 oz Cara-Pils® Malt
10 oz 2-Row Caramel Malt 10L
1.0 oz Glacier (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min

Original Gravity: 1.054
Terminal Gravity: 1.011
Color: 3.66 °SRM
Alcohol: 5.69%
Bitterness: 18.7

Guideline
1.042 - 1.055
1.006 - 1.012
2.5 - 5.0
4.2% - 5.6%
15.0 - 20.0

If you're going for something relatively malty and a bit heavier...go as is. IF you want something lighter and crisper...loose the cara and the #10. Those will really give the beer a sweet flavor with that corn in there.

I'd loose the c-10, ferment under 65, use 6-row base malt and carb it high; three volumes maybe. :D

i usually hit 64 for the first 3-5 days of fermentation then it drops to 61. i was planning 2.8+ as far as carbing goes...

If you're going for something relatively malty and a bit heavier...go as is. IF you want something lighter and crisper...loose the cara and the #10. Those will really give the beer a sweet flavor with that corn in there.

well to be honest i dont exactly know what i was going for-this is the lightest beer i've brewed yet so we'll see how it comes out. i ordered the grist already and its going to be combined so i really have no choice as far as taking anything out. it almost seemed too light to me without the cara and the 10L...i guess thats the inexperienced jitters assuming it has to be complex. there is always the second time around (and third and fourth and fifth) to take stuff out :tank:

you were correct, sir. i just kegged this yesterday an upon tasting it could def. lose some body/sweetness. i've never used corn or rice before so i dont quite know if thats what the sweetness i'm getting is-next time around i'll drop the cara and the 10L. still pretty tasty though.

Latest posts

Back