Crazy yeast questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Germelli1

Reaction score
Why is under pitching bad? I mean the yeast have to multiply one way or another, why does the fact they multiply in a starter rather than in the fermenter beneficial to beer?

Same goes for over pitching, they will have to reach the colony numbers somehow so why does it matter what medium they do it in?

Its not like they sense the amount of sugars in the wort and have a predetermined cell count they want to reach as a colony (or do they)?

Why do you have to let refrigerated yeast warm up to room temps to avoide "temperature shock"? They are going to have to adjust to the temprature of the wort one way or another...

What happens when you pitch two strains of yeast? Does one out compete the other to establish a colony, or do they work together/even share genes?

I am sorry if I seem like a smartass, but these are questions that I have not found a logical understanding in my mind so I want to learn!

You should read 'Yeast: The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation' It will answer all your questions and then some. It is everything you ever (and never) wanted to know about yeast.

You should read 'Yeast: The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation' It will answer all your questions and then some. It is everything you ever (and never) wanted to know about yeast.

That kinda doesn't really answer his question....if you've read it, then why don't you post what you read about that? ;)

Thank you for the recommendation. Since yeast is one of the things science aspects of brewing that it appeals to my academic side. It is also one of the things I understand the least about brewing past the basics.

That kinda doesn't really answer his question....if you've read it, then why don't you post what you read about that? ;)

Because I did read it, and I have a bad memory and don't have the book here to reference :eek:

I have an ESB going and have had some issues maintaining optimal temp for the 1st 3 days of fermentation started at 66 ramped up to 74 for about 8 hours got it back down to 68 and have been holding since. Any ideas on what I can expect and what temp should i keep it at for the next couple of weeks ?
OH the yeast is Wyeast 1968... sorry

The whole thing is about the yeast being stressed and giving off chemical byproducts like esters. some beers are supposed to be underpitched to get esters and other goodies out of the yeast while over pitching just means it will finish faster and might be bad since you have more bud scars and older yeast as the majority, and autolysis may occur (I think its a myth though)

Pitch a starter so the yeast is going and you will always be fine, wash old yeast with water and youll be good

Over or under pitching will just give you a unique yeast character just like fermenting at higher or lower temps

Personally I didnt find the yeast book too helpful (im a biologist so this is what kind of what im in to)

But dont take my word for it!

I always us starters, but moreso to make sure the yeast are alive. I like over pitching a bit just to ensure the yeast get established quickly, but not at extreme over pitching rates.

Thank you for the post Zanz, and nice location :)

haha yeah i noticed your location, i was in ashburn and just moved to arlington. Are you part of the local club? ive been meaning to join.

Also have you dealt with the lhbs guy whos a massive ******? im driving from arlington to frederick just so i dont have to deal with him

Hahahahahah MyLHBS in falls church? The guy is a complete dick and his prices are insane. I go to the HBS in Clifton Va, mostly because it is a BEAUTIFUL little town, the guy in there is cool as hell and he runs the store by himself (although his prices are a wee bit high, but I still like going there).

Alas I had to go to the falls church store two days ago since the clifton one doesn't stock Wyeast or araomatic malt :( I am also not part of a club up here since I am still in school!

Hahahahahah MyLHBS in falls church? The guy is a complete dick and his prices are insane. I go to the HBS in Clifton Va, mostly because it is a BEAUTIFUL little town, the guy in there is cool as hell and he runs the store by himself (although his prices are a wee bit high, but I still like going there).

Also have you dealt with the lhbs guy whos a massive ******? im driving from arlington to frederick just so i dont have to deal with him

That's funny stuff. I take for granted that I live and work well within a 30 minute drive of Midwest Supplies and Northern Brewer. That must suck not having a good homebrew shop nearby, and the new Midwest Supplies store is freaking huge too.

Haha its really funny to hear other people rag on this guy without provocation. I just saw the shop up for sale on craigslist too.

If you want to read the reviews type "My LHBS Falls Church" on google maps and then click on the reviews. They are pretty brutal/funny

I live 5 mins from the shop and I'd rather drive an hour to another shop. It's kind of bonding point when I meet all the local homebrewers. Sacks are the only thing I'll get there if I'm forced.

Back