Crazy Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sub1427

Reaction score
I may get shunned from the brewing community for asking this but here it goes... Currently I have 3 batches going, 2 are in the 2ndary, one has been in the 2ndary for over 2 weeks now, zero airlock activity. I put that one in the fridge its been cold fermenting for over 4 days. I brewed another batch and put that in the primary, realised that I dont have another airlock, so i took the airlock off the 2ndary in the fridge and put some tape over the top to keep the air out. Will I be alright? or have i totally screwed my brew? HELP!:drunk:

Your brew is probably fine, but in the future I would sanitize a piece of aluminum foil and wrap it around the top of the carboy with a rubberband to secure it.

I usually consider an airlock as part of the package when I buy a carboy so that I don't wind up in exactly this situation.

Next time you make a purchase at the (L)HBS, just get about 5 cheap plastic airlocks. I'm sure everyone has found themselves in some variation of this position. First time it happened to me I had just made a starter and realized that all my airlocks were in use for other things.

sub1427 said:
I may get shunned from the brewing community for asking this but here it goes... Currently I have 3 batches going, 2 are in the 2ndary, one has been in the 2ndary for over 2 weeks now, zero airlock activity. I put that one in the fridge its been cold fermenting for over 4 days. I brewed another batch and put that in the primary, realised that I dont have another airlock, so i took the airlock off the 2ndary in the fridge and put some tape over the top to keep the air out. Will I be alright? or have i totally screwed my brew? HELP!:drunk:

before you get yourself ostracized try replacing the 'tAPE' with a big balloon, prefereably one that is clean and/ or sanitized...

using tape would probably be anathematized by the Brewish Pope...

The foil and rubber band are the way to go. I used a pint glass over the hole in my primary on one occasion. I try to keep a spare airlock or two handy. They seem to get fragile after three or four years of use.

Baron von BeeGee said:
Your brew is probably fine, but in the future I would sanitize a piece of aluminum foil and wrap it around the top of the carboy with a rubberband to secure it.

I usually consider an airlock as part of the package when I buy a carboy so that I don't wind up in exactly this situation.

You don't need a rubber band, just wrap it around loosely, it's not going anywhere. Also aluminum foil is sanitary right out of the package; sanitizing again is redundant. after all, you put your leftovers in there without sanitizing, right?

ablrbrau said:
after all, you put your leftovers in there without sanitizing, right?

True, but I normally don't let my leftovers sit around for 4 to 6 weeks before consuming them either. :)

Walker-san said:
True, but I normally don't let my leftovers sit around for 4 to 6 weeks before consuming them either. :)
Nor at room temp, for that matter. I prefer not to take chances if I don't have to, which is why I would sanitize. As far as the foil being secure, it might be in some households, but nothing is safe in mine! :drunk:

I second BeeGee, I always buy a new airlock with a new carboy or fermenter. Right now I have 4 beers in secondary, requiring a minimum of that many airlocks. I have to consider the best-case senario: One airlock for each of the four 3-gallon secondaries, two more for the 2 5-gallon ones, two for the primaries, and one for the starter jar. It's possible that I could have all of these going at the same time. :D At least that's the rationalization I tell my wife! :p

Baron von BeeGee said:
Nor at room temp, for that matter. I prefer not to take chances if I don't have to, which is why I would sanitize. As far as the foil being secure, it might be in some households, but nothing is safe in mine! :drunk:

That's why you put it on loosely. The Co2 will escape while still not letting anything
into the beer. the only time you'd have a problem is if the carboy bubbles over, which is certainly a possibility.
Also certainly sanitize the foil if it helps you relax, but I honestly have never had a problem. I do my starters that way. too. Cheers.:mug:

I pretty much understand the concept behind the foil. It won't be too tight with a rubber band by any stretch...too many wrinkles and folds for outgassing. My point is that at my house nothing is secure if it's loose, and especially in the fridge.

And I have plenty of airlocks, so I don't employ the method except for the occasional starter :mug:

Baron von BeeGee said:
I pretty much understand the concept behind the foil. It won't be too tight with a rubber band by any stretch...too many wrinkles and folds for outgassing. My point is that at my house nothing is secure if it's loose, and especially in the fridge.

And I have plenty of airlocks, so I don't employ the method except for the occasional starter :mug:

By any stretch? Ah that's a good pun! Rubber band. stretch.(crickets chirping) Never mind.......Cheers:mug:

homebrewer_99 said:
I have 19 airlocks...sometimes I need MORE!!!:drunk:

now thats just silly aint it?

p.s. does anyone have a glass airlock? ive seen them for sale and always wanted one (well not always, ive ALWAYS wanted a Porsche 930)

Back