crapped out yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocScott

Reaction score
Need some quick advice. I made a IIPA a few weeks back. Mashed at 148 for 50 min then increased to 154 for 10 min. Mash out at 170. Aerated and pitched with 3/4 gallon starter of London ESB Wyeast. OG of 1.085. I've been at 1.032 now for a week which puts me at about 62% attenuation which is slightly low for this yeast.

I really want this beer to finish under 1.020 and now am frustrated. I've tried warming it from the initial 62*F ferment up to 68-70 and tried rousing the yeast with no movement.

With my mash schedule I should still have a lot more fermentables in my beer and want them to ferment out. Should I repitch the same yeast? Use something different? Think this yeast just attenuated out and stopped or ABV exceeded the yeast (probably around 7.5% now - yeast should be good up to 9%?) What to do? Thanks!

I would pitch some US05 or any clean well attenuating ale yeast. You've already achieved the flavors you want from the primary strain so you don't have to worry about that. It should take care of whatever remaining fermentable sugars in there.

Thanks Coff. I pitched a pack of S-04 today and my blowoff just started up again. I had heard that the ESB would attenuate better than expected with the mash schedule, but I guess my yeast had other plans. Looks like I'm on my way down to FG again.

I'm glad you got it going again. Higher gravity beer, usually require higher pitch rates, and sometimes end higher than low grav beers. :)

Back