CraftBeerPi - Raspberry Pi Software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone using this I/O board in a Raspi-based brewery controller?

IONO Pi

Not the cheapest solution at $113 but seems to have everything needed for controlling up to 3 SSRs (via open collector outputs), One-Wire interface on GPIO4 (plus 3 other GPIO) and 4 pumps @ 120V (via NO SPST relays). Looks to be a viable solution for someone wanting an all-in-one interface board. Also, has built-in poly-fuse on 9-24V power supply input, which I’ve not seen on any of the custom CBPI boards. There is also a CM Pi model with built-in PT-100/PT-1000 support, but that is even more costly.

Last edited:
Everything for my control panel has shipped, but it's delayed due to the weather! I do have my RPi4B+ though, so I thought I'd fiddle around a bit while I wait.
So I've got CBPi 3 running and in the web control, I'm looking at the plugins list. There are quite a few there, and many with overlapping feature sets. Are there any recommendations? Is there any risk in trying any of them? I'm just in the learning stage with both RPi and CBPi, so I don't want to crash anything if possible.

You can add/remove plugins as you please. I haven't run into one that can cause any permanent malfunction.

Some of the plugins are outdated, and the owners have moved on so you might find support you might not.

Fingers crossed CBPI4 is kept updated once finished.

800mA is not a saturation from base, its a current limit collector-emitter i think, so basically how much SSR can draw which is fine because it use ~20mA.
Which of the two modes?BC337-25,BC337-40。

Attachments

• WechatIMG80.jpeg
    WechatIMG80.jpeg
    116.1 KB · Views: 16
Hey guys, I could use a little help with my CBPi3.0 setup.
I've got things wired up and just starting to test. In CBPI, my sensor isn't showing up under the hardware settings when I go to select the sensor. If I'm doing it right, it does show up in the RPi files under sys/bus/w1/devices as w1_bus_master1. Can anyone help me find the disconnect?

Thanks!

Hey guys, I could use a little help with my CBPi3.0 setup.
I've got things wired up and just starting to test. In CBPI, my sensor isn't showing up under the hardware settings when I go to select the sensor. If I'm doing it right, it does show up in the RPi files under sys/bus/w1/devices as w1_bus_master1. Can anyone help me find the disconnect?

Thanks!
You go to System>Hardware Settings ---- Down to Sensors>Add>ONE_WIRE_SENSOR ????

As much as it pains me to say it, the facebook group is more responsive. I hate tracking issues through it but it's a bit faster.

You go to System>Hardware Settings ---- Down to Sensors>Add>ONE_WIRE_SENSOR ????

As much as it pains me to say it, the facebook group is more responsive. I hate tracking issues through it but it's a bit faster.
Hey Phoenix, Yes, I did that, but none show up there.

it does show up in the RPi files under sys/bus/w1/devices as w1_bus_master1. Can anyone help me find the disconnect?
When you look there (devices) it should appear as a number code such as 28-XXXXXXXeXXXX (X are numbers). Sounds like the pi is not recognizing it. Make sure you have 1-wire turned on via the RPI settings. Also is has to be on GPIO 4. Hope that helps.

cd /sys/bus/w1/devices
ls
Should output something like this, I currently have 4 sensors going.
28-0000066f1989 28-000006774442 w1_bus_master1
28-0000066f1fdc 28-01202258ac3c

If you dont' see anything, onewire isn't turned on. I think it asks you if you want to when you install CBPI3. If not you can go to -

Sudo raspi-config > Interface Options > 1 wire

If 1 wire is on and you see nothing it's probably a hardware problem, check your connections for the sensor and the resistor

Last edited:
If the sensors show up in the system folder then W1 suport is ok.
CBPI only reads the sensor list when start, if you connect the sensor after that it will not show up.
There is a bug in the one-wire basic plugin, but only shows up if you have more than one W1 bus.
You may try some of the one-wire advanved plugins just in case.

I'm not seeing the address format mentioned above. Here is what I’m seeing:

Attachments

• D2E96A13-7924-4B80-9BF4-B7442D9D5496.jpeg
    D2E96A13-7924-4B80-9BF4-B7442D9D5496.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 38
I'm not seeing the address format mentioned above. Here is what I’m seeing:

The little icon to the left of the craftbeerpi tab is the terminal. Click on that and copy paste:

cd /sys/bus/w1/devices
ls

If it outputs nothing you either need to make sure 1 wire is turned on or you have a hardware issue.

If it outputs nothing you either need to make sure 1 wire is turned on or you have a hardware issue.
It came back with nothing:
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ cd /sys/bus/w1/devices
pi@raspberrypi:/sys/bus/w1/devices $

Under raspberry pi configuration interfaces tab, it shows -Wire enabled.

Everytime it's come back blank for me I've spent multiple hours googling what the hell is wrong with the software and everytime it's been a problem with the hardware, wire came loose.

You have the 1 wire setup with a resistor?

Anyone know why I get this error when trying to download and install CBPI 4?

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ git clone https://github.com/manue183/craftbeerpi
Cloning into 'craftbeerpi'...
Username for 'GitHub: Where the world builds software': ************
Password for 'https://[email protected]': **********
remote: Repository not found.
fatal: repository 'https://github.com/manue183/craftbeerpi/' not found

Thats the 2.2 branch?

https://craftbeerpi.gitbook.io/craftbeerpi4/

Last edited:
It's not. There are UI elements you can play with and you can then your actors on and off, read sensors but that's about it. There's a PID auto tune plugin you can install, I dunno if it works. I can't seem to get the PIDboil plugin to work.

There's also a mainstream channel and a development channel. It all gets kinda confusing. Best to stick to CBPI3 for now. And even then don't use his GitHub for that it's broken. You can use the python 3 version I quoted up above or the brewchef version.

Last edited:
Everytime it's come back blank for me I've spent multiple hours googling what the hell is wrong with the software and everytime it's been a problem with the hardware, wire came loose.
Well, I've had the chance to double check my wiring, and it looks good per the attached drawing I've seen floating around on here. However, someone recommended I use a 2.2K resistor instead of the 4.7K one. Just to be sure that wasn't causing a problem, I doubled two of my 2.2K resistor's in series for 4.4K total. This still didn't cause them to show up either in the RPi file system or under the CBPi 3.0 Equipment setup- Add Sensor- Select Sensor pull down. Thoughts?

Attachments

• CraftBeerPi Wiring.png
    CraftBeerPi Wiring.png
    317.4 KB · Views: 47
The wiring is ok, and will work with any resistor between 1k and 5k.
Just to be sure the gpio4 is not broken you could set up onewire bus on a diferent pin.
I have used gpio17 some times, just change /boot/config.txt to:
dtoverlay=w1-gpio,gpiopin=17

Do you have another micro, as an arduino or similar, to test the sensors?

Posting a few pictures of my system wiring. Perhaps it'll help. I’ve tried 2 different sensors. One from Arber and a generic ds18b20.

Attachments

• 7C522A7A-145F-485D-A34D-0292F0BBE359.jpeg
    7C522A7A-145F-485D-A34D-0292F0BBE359.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 61
  • BEFBAA54-A290-487E-8298-68B7C9A1849A.jpeg
    BEFBAA54-A290-487E-8298-68B7C9A1849A.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 61
  • FA6A5709-5644-48F9-9CE3-52F3BDB5113D.jpeg
    FA6A5709-5644-48F9-9CE3-52F3BDB5113D.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 60
I think it looks fine.

Have you tried hooking up a sensor w/o the disconnect to see if you can get a reading? Also IIRC 1 wires can't be plugged in after boot. The sensors have to be connected then the PI booted.

Last edited:
It is true that hot-plugging One-Wire devices is an iffy proposition wrt device recognition.
It usually works, but often doesn't. Won't break anything, just needs a reboot.

I might have missed it, but raspi-config provides an enable for the One-Wire function that may need setting...

Cheers!

Have you tried hooking up a sensor w/o the disconnect to see if you can get a reading? Also IIRC 1 wires can't be plugged in after boot. The sensors have to be connected then the PI booted.
I'm glad you kept pushing this Phoenix. That pushed me to remove the wires run to the terminal and It turns out that I had a small short between data and VCC where I connected to the hat! Once I found that I did a quick test, connecting a sensor directly and it showed up fine. Thanks!!
Next I need to figure out how to set up my 5500W element. Do I set it for GPIOPWM? If so, what frequency? I'm connected to GPIO18.

Attachments

• 1616361236450.png
    1616361236450.png
    371.7 KB · Views: 21
I'm glad you kept pushing this Phoenix. That pushed me to remove the wires run to the terminal and It turns out that I had a small short between data and VCC where I connected to the hat! Once I found that I did a quick test, connecting a sensor directly and it showed up fine. Thanks!!
Next I need to figure out how to set up my 5500W element. Do I set it for GPIOPWM? If so, what frequency? I'm connected to GPIO18.

I'm glad you got it sorted.

GPIOSimple/GPIOPWM - Depends on what you are using the element for. GPIOSimple is an on/off switch. GPIOPWM allows you to make adjustments to the power level. I've never entered a value into the frequency tab, and according to the amp meter I have installed, it just seem to work, so there's some sort of default value that's not shown. Papacap above might know more about how it all works. I couldn't find any definitive answer so I punted and just left that **** blank.

I do have it on an ssr, powered via a ULN2003 from GPIO18.
I'm getting Actor Error: Failed to setup actor 5500W BK Element. Please check the configuration

Anyone using this I/O board in a Raspi-based brewery controller?

IONO Pi

Not the cheapest solution at $113 but seems to have everything needed for controlling up to 3 SSRs (via open collector outputs), One-Wire interface on GPIO4 (plus 3 other GPIO) and 4 pumps @ 120V (via NO SPST relays). Looks to be a viable solution for someone wanting an all-in-one interface board. Also, has built-in poly-fuse on 9-24V power supply input, which I’ve not seen on any of the custom CBPI boards. There is also a CM Pi model with built-in PT-100/PT-1000 support, but that is even more costly.

That looks nice. I have been using a Henao Technologies board (out of business?) with expansion (pic here). But I hate wiring up the Max31865 boards. And, I think one of the expansion slots has failed, because I'm no longer getting readings despite replacing the max31865. Can you link to the CM Pi model with built-in PT-100/PT-1000 support, I couldn't find it?

Ok, so I've been able to double check my wiring to the SSR from the GPIO18. It all looked good, so I checked to see if the GPIO is firing. It's not. I tried others as well, and none are firing. Thoughts?

This is going to be long winded.... I'm not good at the raspberry pi so hopefully folks can chime in if I'm wrong. I'm gonna give you what I'd do from my experience....

I think I saw your post on facebook about how you installed CBPI. I tried that once, and it didn't work, and even the article has a modification saying using a different repo would be beneficial.

(Installing CraftBeerPi)

If you currently have CBPI to auto start, SSH into your pi, then:

CD craftbeerpi3
sudo ./install.sh
Should pop up a screen
Disable autostart. Start on boot, or whatever it's called.

This will allow you to keep your progress with your current system if what I tell you to do doesn't work. Then type:

cd (should return you to the root file system)
sudo mkdir CBPI3test
sudo git clone BrewChef/craftbeerpi3
This should download everything you need to run.
cd craftbeerpi3
sudo ./install.sh

This will be the same exact screen as you've seen.
Install Craftbeerpi3
Add to autostart if you want.
Start Craftbeerpi

What I do know is this is a more updated repository that includes everything to actually run, from my experience, and is how I currently run my craftbeerpi without issues.

What I DO NOT KNOW (and whoever reads this that actually codes could clue me in) is if this will have any conflicts with the currently installed CBPI3. From my limited knowledge of this system is these two will run independently from each other, but again I don't actually know.

The definite downside of what I'm having you do is you have to start over, add your sensors, actors, kettles, etc all over again. If you kept a list of your GPIO numbers and what they all lead to, this will take 5 minutes....and hopefully work.

Gonna end this with the fact that I don't actually know what I'm doing, I'm just trying to help given my experience.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
cd (should return you to the root file system)
sudo mkdir CBPI3test
This should download everything you need to run.

Phoenix, thanks for jumping in here! I finally was able to try this today. Here's where I'm at:
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo git clone BrewChef/craftbeerpi3
fatal: repository 'BrewChef/craftbeerpi3' does not exist

Edit: I see the problem. It should have had the actual web address:

I had to change the name of the existing file craftbeerpi3 to craftbeerpi3test to do this. I'm hoping if this fails, I can just change the name back and it'll work fine...

Last edited:
Back