Quantcast

CraftBeerPi - Raspberry Pi Software

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

jtrainer

BeerCzar I am
Reaction score
For anyone interested in what Node-Red is and how it can be used in a brewing application, I suggest starting here.
Yup read that, I think my first question on Node Red is if we have CBP2/3 controllers, do we need to make changes in the hardware/wiring/expansion boards, etc, or can we continue with existing designs and hardware choices?

jangevaa

Reaction score
Yup read that, I think my first question on Node Red is if we have CBP2/3 controllers, do we need to make changes in the hardware/wiring/expansion boards, etc, or can we continue with existing designs and hardware choices?
No, you should be able to use all the same hardware. Just a matter of know which GPIO you're using for each process. DS18B20 temperature sensors are well supported.

doug293cz

BIABer, Beer Math Nerd, ePanel Designer, Pilot
Staff member
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I'd suggest that the thread about CBPi is not the place for discussions about Strangebrew nor BruControl.
Agreed. Those applications have threads of their own for discussion, and should not have extended discussions, nor questions asked about them in this thread. Occasional references to alternative apps is acceptable, but do not use those to trigger an off topic discussion.

doug293cz
HBT Moderator

Curly55

Reaction score
So here's my problem, I'm running a direct fired 3 burner herms system and trying to get the alarm clock plug-in to work for my initial heat up of the MLT and HLT. The GPIOtoggle plug-in allows me to turn the pumps on but thats where my luck stops. I can only get my HLT or MLT to heat up with a mash in step. What I am trying to do is fire the burners for both of my pots with the appropriate set Temps and the way the alarm plug-in works sets both Temps to zero. There's no step that allows me to regain my target Temps and turn both burners on. Any and all help is welcome. PS I'm no wiz with computers, I'm a mechanic my trade.

Lalo_uy

Reaction score
What you need is a SetTargetTemp step.
It could be done as a copy of the MashIn step by just delet the “if” line in the execute section.
Will set the target and end right away.

Curly55

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Took me a second to find the file and I had to replace the "if" line with a "self.next()" but after that it works just like i need it to.

jtrainer

BeerCzar I am
Reaction score
I broke my Pi 3B+ the other day. I updated some FW and then couldn't connect to the wifi, so I brought it all back upstairs fiddled with it, and no matter how many times I rebooted it connected each time. Put it back in the garage and no connection. Over and over, back and forth. Along the way, I re-hot glued the pi to my case. <grin> I've done this a number of times, its how my ferm controller is built. 3 Years of numerous hot gluings... Anyhow, I attempted to pry off the pi to re-orientate so the wifi is closer to the front of the case how I initially had it set. I guess I dumped too much hot glue and effectively pulled the memory chip off the board. Argh!

So for CBP3, I think the performance was fine... I'm experimenting with a Pi 4 4GB and Raspbian x64 with OpenMediaVault and a number of docker stuff that may or may not be working as expected.

So I guess I'll replace it with a Pi 4 perhaps 2 GB model... can anyone tell me if Raspbian x64 will work with CBP3 AKA known issues or should I stick with the 32 Bit OS?

I'm still curious why after the FW update I couldn't connect from the garage, I wonder if the FW update forced a lower power signal or something... If anyone has knowledge of the FW update and what it does to WIFI strength, I'd appreciate any input.