Quantcast

CraftBeerPi - Raspberry Pi Software

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

jtrainer

BeerCzar I am
Reaction score
For anyone interested in what Node-Red is and how it can be used in a brewing application, I suggest starting here.
Yup read that, I think my first question on Node Red is if we have CBP2/3 controllers, do we need to make changes in the hardware/wiring/expansion boards, etc, or can we continue with existing designs and hardware choices?

jangevaa

Reaction score
Yup read that, I think my first question on Node Red is if we have CBP2/3 controllers, do we need to make changes in the hardware/wiring/expansion boards, etc, or can we continue with existing designs and hardware choices?
No, you should be able to use all the same hardware. Just a matter of know which GPIO you're using for each process. DS18B20 temperature sensors are well supported.

doug293cz

BIABer, Beer Math Nerd, ePanel Designer, Pilot
Staff member
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I'd suggest that the thread about CBPi is not the place for discussions about Strangebrew nor BruControl.
Agreed. Those applications have threads of their own for discussion, and should not have extended discussions, nor questions asked about them in this thread. Occasional references to alternative apps is acceptable, but do not use those to trigger an off topic discussion.

doug293cz
HBT Moderator

Curly55

Reaction score
So here's my problem, I'm running a direct fired 3 burner herms system and trying to get the alarm clock plug-in to work for my initial heat up of the MLT and HLT. The GPIOtoggle plug-in allows me to turn the pumps on but thats where my luck stops. I can only get my HLT or MLT to heat up with a mash in step. What I am trying to do is fire the burners for both of my pots with the appropriate set Temps and the way the alarm plug-in works sets both Temps to zero. There's no step that allows me to regain my target Temps and turn both burners on. Any and all help is welcome. PS I'm no wiz with computers, I'm a mechanic my trade.

Lalo_uy

Reaction score
What you need is a SetTargetTemp step.
It could be done as a copy of the MashIn step by just delet the “if” line in the execute section.
Will set the target and end right away.

Curly55

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Took me a second to find the file and I had to replace the "if" line with a "self.next()" but after that it works just like i need it to.

jtrainer

BeerCzar I am
Reaction score
I broke my Pi 3B+ the other day. I updated some FW and then couldn't connect to the wifi, so I brought it all back upstairs fiddled with it, and no matter how many times I rebooted it connected each time. Put it back in the garage and no connection. Over and over, back and forth. Along the way, I re-hot glued the pi to my case. <grin> I've done this a number of times, its how my ferm controller is built. 3 Years of numerous hot gluings... Anyhow, I attempted to pry off the pi to re-orientate so the wifi is closer to the front of the case how I initially had it set. I guess I dumped too much hot glue and effectively pulled the memory chip off the board. Argh!

So for CBP3, I think the performance was fine... I'm experimenting with a Pi 4 4GB and Raspbian x64 with OpenMediaVault and a number of docker stuff that may or may not be working as expected.

So I guess I'll replace it with a Pi 4 perhaps 2 GB model... can anyone tell me if Raspbian x64 will work with CBP3 AKA known issues or should I stick with the 32 Bit OS?

I'm still curious why after the FW update I couldn't connect from the garage, I wonder if the FW update forced a lower power signal or something... If anyone has knowledge of the FW update and what it does to WIFI strength, I'd appreciate any input.

Surfmase

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been using CBPi3 for a few years now, but only on the hot side. Now I have a new fermenter which I also want to control with CBPi. I'm having problems with the temperature sensor and it's been too long since the original setup to remember how that went. I looked in the w1 devices directory, but don't really know what I should be looking for. I have 4 sensors working on the hot side plus the new one for the FV, but the directory shows me one folder. Any ideas? The new sensor should be the same as the old ones, bought from brewpi webshop.

Thanks

Lalo_uy

Reaction score
Yes, you see a 28-....... folder for each sensor.
Be sure to power the vvc line fom 5v and pullup the data line to 3,3v.

Surfmase

Reaction score
Thanks.
So yeah, I see all five folders named 28-.... The funny thing is when I'm in CBPi3 hardware settings adding a sensor I don't get a real temperature value. The value is 0 plus whatever offset I give. The drop down list where it asks for the sensor address doesn't give me any options, only "please select". This is the same if I look back at the older sensors too. There are no options, and no way to input something. If I update an old one, it also goes to 0 plus offset, but after a few seconds it regenerates a measured temperature value. Why can't I select the sensor address?

edit: I just added the one wire advanced plugin and rebooted, and voila, the addresses are there again.

Cheers,

Last edited:

Lalo_uy

Reaction score
ok, now.
I forgot to mention that the list in only updated when CBPi restarts.
Also the original code only looks for sensors on GPIO4, if you move the onewire bus to other pin or have more than one bus need to change basic_plugins/one_wire:
19C19
< for dirname in os.listdir('/sys/bus/w1/w1_bus_master1/devices'):
---
> for dirname in os.listdir('/sys/bus/w1/devices'):
54c54
< with open('/sys/bus/w1/devices/w1_bus_master1/%s/w1_slave' % self.sensor_name, 'r') as content_file:
---
> with open('/sys/bus/w1/devices/%s/w1_slave' % self.sensor_name, 'r') as content_file:

Surfmase

Reaction score
Thanks,

While I'm at it :) I wanted to ask about the chart feature. Up to now, I've never had my chart feature work. If I run a sequence and then go to view chart, I only see a white blank field. If I download it as another file type, it's still just blank. Missing the chart during an hour of mashing wasn't a big deal, but I would like to view it over the period of fermentation.

Do I need to activate something for the chart to work?

Thanks again,

Lalo_uy

Reaction score
The big problem with the char is that it try to show the whole log file.
The log records a point every 5sec, so a week will be a huge amount of data, and takes for ever to load.
My approaches was:
1) change the the sleep in the one_wire plugin to update ever 15sec. That is more than enough for a fermenter, even 60 sec will do.
2) modify the the code that loads the dataset for the chart from the log, to get one point ever minute.
3) have a daily cron job to flush the log files in order to keep the last 4 days data. This chart loads at a good seep and have more than 5000 points.

There is also a plugin called BetterCharts the do some improvements.

lazaro.satiro

Reaction score
Guys, I recently set up a single vessel using the crafbeerpi with the TerraGady 5.0 interface as a supervisor.

This week I went to calibrate the heating system with the PID AUTOTUNE, however I have huge variations with the temperature sensors, I have changed them twice and the problem persists.

Do any of you have any suggestions as to what may be causing this?

I use a 3500w resistor connected to a 40a ssr relay

A mp 15r pump connected to a relay with octocoupler.

Attachments

rkhanso

Reaction score
Plymouth, MN - terrible tap water for brewing
Guys, I recently set up a single vessel using the crafbeerpi with the TerraGady 5.0 interface as a supervisor.

This week I went to calibrate the heating system with the PID AUTOTUNE, however I have huge variations with the temperature sensors, I have changed them twice and the problem persists.

Do any of you have any suggestions as to what may be causing this?

I use a 3500w resistor connected to a 40a ssr relay

A mp 15r pump connected to a relay with octocoupler.
Do you have the 4k7 resistor between the data and 5v (or 3.3V) leads on the 1-wire temp sensors? With the Terragady board, I'm pretty sure you should put the resistor at the Terragady instead of the RaspberryPi:

1603394218084.png