CraftBeerPi - Raspberry Pi Software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to sound like a nerk, but are you sure everything is wired correctly?

I have the same wattage elements and tuned using practically the same volume of water using the default settings and came out with some very serviceable settings.

I can't help thinking something is either wired wrong or set up on the Pi incorrectly.

Not to sound like a nerk, but are you sure everything is wired correctly?

I have the same wattage elements and tuned using practically the same volume of water using the default settings and came out with some very serviceable settings.

I can't help thinking something is either wired wrong or set up on the Pi incorrectly.

I honestly don't see how it could be wired wrong, seeing as how it's such a simple setup and I've gone over it so many times. 4 prong 240V power cord comes in, one hot leg is run to the SSR, then out to the 3 prong input for the element. The other hot leg and ground run directly to the 3 prong input. Neutral is left out.

Pi has a ground and GPIO running to the SSR for the element. Thermometer runs to GPIO4, 3.3V power, and ground. Those are the only wires I have coming off the Pi, I left my pump as a standalone for the time being. I'm really not sure what could be going wrong, outside of my element being too strong when trying to autotune. However, since the SSR is no longer working properly, that seems like a moot point until I get it corrected.

Not sure if this will make any difference with the issues you are currently having but this is how the folks at the CBPi forum currently recommend as the most stable way to wire your temperature probes...
Pi Sensor wiring.jpg

Hey guys.
I'm trying to set up cbpi3 on a rpio-w, using a waveshare 4.3" touch screen.

My problem is with setting up a kiosk browser for cbpi.
Everything boots nicely (I'm using raspbian stretch lite), and I can log in to the interface through a browser from another computer.
However, since this is only a rpi0, I'm trying to make everything as light as possible.
Have anyone else been successfull in using cbpi3 in any other browser than chromium?
I've been trying kweb, midori, others, but I can't seem to get any other browser than chromium to display the interface...

CBPi is heavy in JavaScript use, may be some other browser do not have all the required features. Will love to see CBPi running on other lighter browser with on screen kbd support.

I haven't tried that plugin, but earlier I had some trouble installing CBPi - I had to install some python packages first. Can't remember which ones though :-/

Question about using CraftbeerPi as a fermenting controller with both heat and cooling. I did a short test and when the cooling got the temp below the set point, the heat immediately kicked in. I envision the heating and cooling fighting each other, possibly causing unneeded fluctuations and higher energy costs.
Is there a best way to set this so there's a bit of a fudge factor where the heat won't kick as soon as the cooling shuts off (and vice versa)?

I messed with the offsets, but couldn't figure it out and get it to behave a little more civil.

Question about using CraftbeerPi as a fermenting controller with both heat and cooling. I did a short test and when the cooling got the temp below the set point, the heat immediately kicked in. I envision the heating and cooling fighting each other, possibly causing unneeded fluctuations and higher energy costs.
Is there a best way to set this so there's a bit of a fudge factor where the heat won't kick as soon as the cooling shuts off (and vice versa)?

I messed with the offsets, but couldn't figure it out and get it to behave a little more civil.
You have to put ther offest separeated from the target point.

As an example:

Heat on -1
Heat off -0.2
Cold off 0.2
Cold on 1

Allays leave a band between heat and coll settings.

Has anyone tried to install Version 4 of CraftbeerPi? I tried, but get an error after running:sudo pip install cbpi

Here's the error message:
Command "python setup.py egg_info" failed with error code 1 in /tmp/pip-install-BHwYXH/aiohttp-route-decorator
I searched the web and found that other people who have had this error before (not installing CrafteerPi) used the command
pip install --upgrade setuptools

and that fixed their problem. I tried that and get the same error message when trying to install CBPI4 (using the command: sudo pip install cbpi)

If I remove the sudo and use pip install cbpi, then I get a bunch of red text (mostly numbers) saying "cound not find a version that satisfies the requirement aiohttp==3.4.4 (from cbpi) (from versions: 0.1, 0.2, etc...
No matching distribution found for aiohttp==3.4.4 (from cbpi)

Has anyone seen that? Know how to get around it? Or, might version 4 not be far enough along to install?

Maybe there's a different way to install it than found at the CBPI4 website?

OK - that explains it then.

On another note, is there a way to make the fermenter temp charts more reliable? After a day or so, they keep displaying no data. Just blank white forms. I've transferred the log files from the Pi Zero W to my PC and used Libre Office Calc to display the data, but it'd be nice if it would always show it in the web browser without having to delete the files every day.

I'm wondering if it's because I'm running a Pi Zero and it doesn't have the oomph to show all that data once it's collected that much. But the behavior is a bit odd, since it stops displaying data on my PC web browser, though I can sometimes get the data to show up on my Android phone web browser a little longer - after it doesn't show on the computer.

I set up a cron job that cut the log to the last 3 days, and acumultate the remainig data on a separated folder. That way the data loads on the browser on 5~10sec.
I try to make a PHP program tho plot the historic data, but not very good yet. Parsing long txt is not very fast. The best will be move data to a mysql.

Looking to do a setup for fermentation, 2 fermenters, and already have rhe SSRs, and temperature probes. I would like to plan for Version 4 with a RPI 4 and need the appropriate GPIO card for implementation. Advice and recommendations appreciated.
Mike

Looking to do a setup for fermentation, 2 fermenters, and already have rhe SSRs, and temperature probes. I would like to plan for Version 4 with a RPI 4 and need the appropriate GPIO card for implementation. Advice and recommendations appreciated.
Mike

I wouldn't use CraftbeerPi for fermentation. Check out BrewPiLess or BrewPi on the forum and use the rpi for fermentrack.

I have the fermenting temps pretty dialed in now with CraftbeerPi.

Finding that my cooling coil must be pretty efficient, because I can't keep my chiller tank too cold or it overshoots on the fermenter temperature. I'm keeping the chiller tank only about 4F cooler than the fermenter set point. This is a "test brew" using about 9 gallons of just water, so once I really brew and have 11-12 gallons in the fermenter. I suppose the real-world overshoot might be a little less due to more volume.

Some graphs below from 7/11/19 to 7/15/19 - and the temp in my garage where the fermenter/chiller is located is currently only 77F but has been as high as high 80s.

Fermenter tank (only .6F difference in swing from high to low temp and takes 1-2 minutes to drop that temp):

Annotation 2019-07-15 110539.png Annotation 2019-07-15 110605.png

Chiller/cooler supply tank:

Annotation 2019-07-15 111215.png Annotation 2019-07-15 111234.png

Last edited:
I wouldn't use CraftbeerPi for fermentation. Check out BrewPiLess or BrewPi on the forum and use the rpi for fermentrack.
Have had great success with my CBPi 3.0 controller on two SS Brewtech fermenters. I used the Brewtech heaters and glycol pumps, all 12VDC. Added Tilt with a separate Pi to report stats to Brewers Friend web server.

Much better success than with the brewery controller which only works manually.

Have had great success with my CBPi 3.0 controller on two SS Brewtech fermenters. I used the Brewtech heaters and glycol pumps, all 12VDC. Added Tilt with a separate Pi to report stats to Brewers Friend web server.

I'll have to give it a go and see which one I like best. Thanks!

View attachment 635796 CBPi work ok for fermentation. A fermenter PID could be nice, but don't know if it is necesary.
I wrote a kettle controller that does PID-controlled hysteresis - which is what you'd want for fermentation. I wrote that with gas-fired HERMS and RIMS breweries in mind. It has some pretty sophisticated functionality I think, and making it work for fermentation would be as simple as copying it and changing two lines of code to identify it in the software as also a fermentation controller.

I'm not longer developing the plugin, but feel free to fork and take my it further:
https://github.com/jangevaare/cbpi-CascadeControl/blob/master/__init__.py#L183

I wrote a kettle controller that does PID-controlled hysteresis - which is what you'd want for fermentation. I wrote that with gas-fired HERMS and RIMS breweries in mind. It has some pretty sophisticated functionality I think, and making it work for fermentation would be as simple as copying it and changing two lines of code to identify it in the software as also a fermentation controller.

I'm not longer developing the plugin, but feel free to fork and take my it further:
https://github.com/jangevaare/cbpi-CascadeControl/blob/master/__init__.py#L183

Will take a look

Any chance of a photo of your setup?

I’m currently trying to figure out what I need hardware wise to ditch the ftss box, and continue using the 12v pump/heater mat with my glycol chiller and conicals.

I have a d1 mini/esp8266 on a fermentrack board currently for a fridge, but not sure how to re-work it to go to 12v..

Dc-dc relays, mosfet, dc ssr etc

I wanted to keep it smaller like the current ftss box, but needing 12v power in and 5v for the d1 I don’t see how that’ll work.

Last edited:

I’m currently trying to figure out what I need hardware wise to ditch the ftss box, and continue using the 12v pump/heater mat with my glycol chiller and conicals.

I have a d1 mini/esp8266 on a fermentrack board currently for a fridge, but not sure how to re-work it to go to 12v..

I wanted to keep it smaller like the current ftss box, but needing 12v power in and 5v for the d1 I don’t see how that’ll work.

The same relay that turn on and off the fridge will operate the pump. use a wall mart 12v for the pumps. I assume that the mat will keep using AC power.

Hi guys, Im wanting to build one of these to run my Guten (Ace, Brew devil, Klarstien depending on what country you are from) and have so far installed cbpi v3 onto a pi zero w. What are these Terragaddy boards and do I need one if just wanting to run the 2 elements from the Guten and a pump?

Also can someone who has done the same please post a screen shot of how they have it all setup in cbpi? Im assuming I setup an actor for the elements which will be connected together to the 1 SSR and another actor for the pump connected to a 2nd SSR.

Is that correct?

I playing around with BrewPi3.

I don't understand the timer function in the Actors. (ie 10, 20, 30 seconds.) What are they for ?

Is there a way to add a system timer to the "panel" ?
This question was never answered and I too am wondering what its for?

Almost anything related to the GUI is frozen, the source isn't available and Manuel devotes hit scarce time in CBPi4 now.
It's been a while since I looked, but isn't this on GitHub? One could propose a PR and just let another person implement the patch themselves locally (due to the restrictive licensing.)

Unless his licensing has changed, I have no desire to use a product like this which is not truly Open Source. People have a way of going away (*cough RPints*) leaving a public that depended on them no way of really making the project continue to be viable. In essence, it and your time investment become expendable.

In my admittedly personal opinion, only a truly commercial product (with requisite support) should be closed and I'd still argue against that at times.

Almost anything related to the GUI is frozen, the source isn't available and Manuel devotes hit scarce time in CBPi4 now.
But surely someone knows what it actually does? What does it count down to exactly? I cant see why you would need a 30,20 or 10 sec count down timer?

It's been a while since I looked, but isn't this on GitHub? One could propose a PR and just let another person implement the patch themselves locally (due to the restrictive licensing.)

Unless his licensing has changed, I have no desire to use a product like this which is not truly Open Source. People have a way of going away (*cough RPints*) leaving a public that depended on them no way of really making the project continue to be viable. In essence, it and your time investment become expendable.

In my admittedly personal opinion, only a truly commercial product (with requisite support) should be closed and I'd still argue against that at times.

Manuel has stated that the JavaScript ui code could not be released due to a non open plotting library. You only get the bundle.js

I used the interface board from Mash to Brew. Then connected DC-DC SSRs to each pump and heater. Was able to locate power plugs that match the Brewtech plugs: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LF1193N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

upload_2019-7-26_10-54-20.png
upload_2019-7-26_10-54-31.png

Hi guys, Im wanting to build one of these to run my Guten (Ace, Brew devil, Klarstien depending on what country you are from) and have so far installed cbpi v3 onto a pi zero w. What are these Terragaddy boards and do I need one if just wanting to run the 2 elements from the Guten and a pump?

Also can someone who has done the same please post a screen shot of how they have it all setup in cbpi? Im assuming I setup an actor for the elements which will be connected together to the 1 SSR and another actor for the pump connected to a 2nd SSR.

Is that correct?

In my humble opinion the Terragaddy boards are just an unnecessary complexity. They are really built to drive 12v relays/ssr's. If you don't need that, they are overkill. I built one and found that I could neither fully troubleshoot it or make all things (like the buzzer) work correctly. After using it for about 6 months something went wrong and some contacts stopped working and it shorted out my Pi. That is not to say that the board isn't a good product. I'm sure the quality control problems were my own fabrication faults. But for me figuring out how to troubleshoot it cost me two Raspberry Pi's. I switched to just a simple breakout board driving relays at 5v and things went much smoother.

In my humble opinion the Terragaddy boards are just an unnecessary complexity. They are really built to drive 12v relays/ssr's. If you don't need that, they are overkill. I built one and found that I could neither fully troubleshoot it or make all things (like the buzzer) work correctly. After using it for about 6 months something went wrong and some contacts stopped working and it shorted out my Pi. That is not to say that the board isn't a good product. I'm sure the quality control problems were my own fabrication faults. But for me figuring out how to troubleshoot it cost me two Raspberry Pi's. I switched to just a simple breakout board driving relays at 5v and things went much smoother.

What about driving the relays direct from a Pi zero using 3v3? That still works ok without any issues?

Back