CraftBeerPi - Raspberry Pi Software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For anyone interested in what Node-Red is and how it can be used in a brewing application, I suggest starting here.

Yup read that, I think my first question on Node Red is if we have CBP2/3 controllers, do we need to make changes in the hardware/wiring/expansion boards, etc, or can we continue with existing designs and hardware choices?

Yup read that, I think my first question on Node Red is if we have CBP2/3 controllers, do we need to make changes in the hardware/wiring/expansion boards, etc, or can we continue with existing designs and hardware choices?

No, you should be able to use all the same hardware. Just a matter of know which GPIO you're using for each process. DS18B20 temperature sensors are well supported.

I'd suggest that the thread about CBPi is not the place for discussions about Strangebrew nor BruControl.
Agreed. Those applications have threads of their own for discussion, and should not have extended discussions, nor questions asked about them in this thread. Occasional references to alternative apps is acceptable, but do not use those to trigger an off topic discussion.

doug293cz
HBT Moderator

So here's my problem, I'm running a direct fired 3 burner herms system and trying to get the alarm clock plug-in to work for my initial heat up of the MLT and HLT. The GPIOtoggle plug-in allows me to turn the pumps on but thats where my luck stops. I can only get my HLT or MLT to heat up with a mash in step. What I am trying to do is fire the burners for both of my pots with the appropriate set Temps and the way the alarm plug-in works sets both Temps to zero. There's no step that allows me to regain my target Temps and turn both burners on. Any and all help is welcome. PS I'm no wiz with computers, I'm a mechanic my trade.

What you need is a SetTargetTemp step.
It could be done as a copy of the MashIn step by just delet the “if” line in the execute section.
Will set the target and end right away.

Thanks for the help. Took me a second to find the file and I had to replace the "if" line with a "self.next()" but after that it works just like i need it to.

I broke my Pi 3B+ the other day. I updated some FW and then couldn't connect to the wifi, so I brought it all back upstairs fiddled with it, and no matter how many times I rebooted it connected each time. Put it back in the garage and no connection. Over and over, back and forth. Along the way, I re-hot glued the pi to my case. <grin> I've done this a number of times, its how my ferm controller is built. 3 Years of numerous hot gluings... Anyhow, I attempted to pry off the pi to re-orientate so the wifi is closer to the front of the case how I initially had it set. I guess I dumped too much hot glue and effectively pulled the memory chip off the board. Argh!

So for CBP3, I think the performance was fine... I'm experimenting with a Pi 4 4GB and Raspbian x64 with OpenMediaVault and a number of docker stuff that may or may not be working as expected.

So I guess I'll replace it with a Pi 4 perhaps 2 GB model... can anyone tell me if Raspbian x64 will work with CBP3 AKA known issues or should I stick with the 32 Bit OS?

I'm still curious why after the FW update I couldn't connect from the garage, I wonder if the FW update forced a lower power signal or something... If anyone has knowledge of the FW update and what it does to WIFI strength, I'd appreciate any input.

120077317_3998321343517021_8405006318958934298_o.jpg

Hi,

I have been using CBPi3 for a few years now, but only on the hot side. Now I have a new fermenter which I also want to control with CBPi. I'm having problems with the temperature sensor and it's been too long since the original setup to remember how that went. I looked in the w1 devices directory, but don't really know what I should be looking for. I have 4 sensors working on the hot side plus the new one for the FV, but the directory shows me one folder. Any ideas? The new sensor should be the same as the old ones, bought from brewpi webshop.

Thanks

Thanks.
So yeah, I see all five folders named 28-.... The funny thing is when I'm in CBPi3 hardware settings adding a sensor I don't get a real temperature value. The value is 0 plus whatever offset I give. The drop down list where it asks for the sensor address doesn't give me any options, only "please select". This is the same if I look back at the older sensors too. There are no options, and no way to input something. If I update an old one, it also goes to 0 plus offset, but after a few seconds it regenerates a measured temperature value. Why can't I select the sensor address?

edit: I just added the one wire advanced plugin and rebooted, and voila, the addresses are there again.

Cheers,

Last edited:
ok, now.
I forgot to mention that the list in only updated when CBPi restarts.
Also the original code only looks for sensors on GPIO4, if you move the onewire bus to other pin or have more than one bus need to change basic_plugins/one_wire:
19C19
< for dirname in os.listdir('/sys/bus/w1/w1_bus_master1/devices'):
---
> for dirname in os.listdir('/sys/bus/w1/devices'):
54c54
< with open('/sys/bus/w1/devices/w1_bus_master1/%s/w1_slave' % self.sensor_name, 'r') as content_file:
---
> with open('/sys/bus/w1/devices/%s/w1_slave' % self.sensor_name, 'r') as content_file:

Thanks,

While I'm at it :) I wanted to ask about the chart feature. Up to now, I've never had my chart feature work. If I run a sequence and then go to view chart, I only see a white blank field. If I download it as another file type, it's still just blank. Missing the chart during an hour of mashing wasn't a big deal, but I would like to view it over the period of fermentation.

Do I need to activate something for the chart to work?

Thanks again,

The big problem with the char is that it try to show the whole log file.
The log records a point every 5sec, so a week will be a huge amount of data, and takes for ever to load.
My approaches was:
1) change the the sleep in the one_wire plugin to update ever 15sec. That is more than enough for a fermenter, even 60 sec will do.
2) modify the the code that loads the dataset for the chart from the log, to get one point ever minute.
3) have a daily cron job to flush the log files in order to keep the last 4 days data. This chart loads at a good seep and have more than 5000 points.

There is also a plugin called BetterCharts the do some improvements.

Guys, I recently set up a single vessel using the crafbeerpi with the TerraGady 5.0 interface as a supervisor.

This week I went to calibrate the heating system with the PID AUTOTUNE, however I have huge variations with the temperature sensors, I have changed them twice and the problem persists.

Do any of you have any suggestions as to what may be causing this?

I use a 3500w resistor connected to a 40a ssr relay

A mp 15r pump connected to a relay with octocoupler.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-10-20 at 21.29.46.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-10-20 at 21.29.46.jpeg
    37.3 KB · Views: 50
Guys, I recently set up a single vessel using the crafbeerpi with the TerraGady 5.0 interface as a supervisor.

This week I went to calibrate the heating system with the PID AUTOTUNE, however I have huge variations with the temperature sensors, I have changed them twice and the problem persists.

Do any of you have any suggestions as to what may be causing this?

I use a 3500w resistor connected to a 40a ssr relay

A mp 15r pump connected to a relay with octocoupler.
Do you have the 4k7 resistor between the data and 5v (or 3.3V) leads on the 1-wire temp sensors? With the Terragady board, I'm pretty sure you should put the resistor at the Terragady instead of the RaspberryPi:

1603394218084.png

Hi, it's me again :)

So I accidentally unplugged the raspberry pi while it was running a fermentation process. After I plugged it back in, I couldn't connect to it's IP address. I connected a monitor and tried to restart it. First craftbeerpi fails to load and I get this message:

you are in rescue mode. After logging in, type "journalctl -xb" to view system logs, "systemctl reboot" to reboot, "systemctl default" or ^D to boot into default mode.

Cannot open access to console, the root account is locked.
See sulogin(8) man page for more details.

Press Enter to continue

Failed to start default.target: Operation refused, unit may not be isolated.
See system logs and "systemctl status default.target" for details.

Any Idea where to start? I somehow got into recovery mode, and I think it was prompting to reinstall Raspbian, but I'm not sure. Otherwise I couldn't figure out how to login and get to a terminal.

Thanks!

Does anyone have experience with the AlarmClock plugin? I was hoping to setup my hot liquor tank to pre-heat in the morning before I head out to the barn.

I played around with it last night and did not have any luck. I setup two steps in the brew process.

First one was the alarmclock to go off at 5:30am. Second step was mash-in and tied to my KettleHeater actor with a temp set of 158. When I enabled that process, I could get the AlarmClock to fire, and the process would proceed to the mash-in step, but the heater would not come on.

When I enable the brewprocess, I get a message to make sure things are in 'Auto' mode. If I place my heater in Auto, it automatically starts ramping power to the kettle before the alarm goes off.

Anyone have any guidance here?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Brian

You need to leave the kettle in Auto, with a very low target temp.
That way the kettle will not go on until the mash step sets the desired target temp.

You need to leave the kettle in Auto, with a very low target temp.
That way the kettle will not go on until the mash step sets the desired target temp.

Ah.. Didn't think of trying that. Will give it a test run today before my next planned brew day tomorrow!

Thanks for the tip!

Hi all - has anyone had to reinstall CBPI3 lately? I'm getting stuck at sudo pip install flask_socketio. I'm getting the following:

Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement bidict>=0.21.0 (from python-socketio>=5.0.2->flask_socketio) (from versions: 0.1.5, 0.2.1, 0.3.0, 0.3.1, 0.9.0rc0, 0.9.0.post1, 0.10.0, 0.10.0.post1, 0.11.0, 0.12.0.post1, 0.13.0, 0.13.1, 0.14.0, 0.14.1, 0.14.2, 0.15.0.dev0, 0.15.0.dev1, 0.15.0rc1, 0.15.0, 0.16.0, 0.17.0, 0.17.1, 0.17.2, 0.17.3, 0.17.4, 0.17.5, 0.18.0, 0.18.1, 0.18.2, 0.18.3, 0.18.4)
No matching distribution found for bidict>=0.21.0 (from python-socketio>=5.0.2->flask_socketio)

This is one of many reasons I'm eventually getting rid of it, but for now it's all I've got. Any ideas?

Hi all - has anyone had to reinstall CBPI3 lately? I'm getting stuck at sudo pip install flask_socketio. I'm getting the following:

Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement bidict>=0.21.0

Any ideas?

I was able to get CBPI3 running today for the first time although I have not yet connected hardware. I cannot promise it actually works or if there will be more problems. I'm no expert but I will try to explain what I did.

First, after much searching I think that the problem you have (and I had) is that flask_socketio no longer supports python2 which is what CBPI runs on. I tried repeatedly to get an old version of flask_socketio, python-engineio, bidict, etc. but I could not get it working. My workaround was basically to run CBPI on python3.

To start I changed the shebang in run.py to #!/usr/bin/env python3.7
Then I installed 2to3 from the git repository and ran it on my entire CPBI3 directory "2to3 -W ~/craftbeerpi3"
I then began installing dependencies (such as flask, YAML, etc.) using pip3 as well as pip.
I kept trying to ./run.py and just resolved errors as they arose. Some things were simply not fixed by 2to3. I don't remember everything I changed but I was able to figure it out via google. At some point I did have to update $PATH to account for where some modules installed.
After, all that CBPI3 launched without error and the port5000 interface seems normal and gives no errors.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable will know better and I'll run into a million errors as soon as I actually try to use the software but I was pretty happy to just get it running.

I wanted to post this because it seems like there is nothing about this new issue online. I wanted to show it is possible to install still. If you have specific questions during the process I can try to help.

I was able to get CBPI3 running today for the first time although I have not yet connected hardware. I cannot promise it actually works or if there will be more problems. I'm no expert but I will try to explain what I did.

First, after much searching I think that the problem you have (and I had) is that flask_socketio no longer supports python2 which is what CBPI runs on. I tried repeatedly to get an old version of flask_socketio, python-engineio, bidict, etc. but I could not get it working. My workaround was basically to run CBPI on python3.

To start I changed the shebang in run.py to #!/usr/bin/env python3.7
Then I installed 2to3 from the git repository and ran it on my entire CPBI3 directory "2to3 -W ~/craftbeerpi3"
I then began installing dependencies (such as flask, YAML, etc.) using pip3 as well as pip.
I kept trying to ./run.py and just resolved errors as they arose. Some things were simply not fixed by 2to3. I don't remember everything I changed but I was able to figure it out via google. At some point I did have to update $PATH to account for where some modules installed.
After, all that CBPI3 launched without error and the port5000 interface seems normal and gives no errors.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable will know better and I'll run into a million errors as soon as I actually try to use the software but I was pretty happy to just get it running.

I wanted to post this because it seems like there is nothing about this new issue online. I wanted to show it is possible to install still. If you have specific questions during the process I can try to help.

There was someone who forked it and did a python3 version, and even forked and converted all the plugins for python3.

https://github.com/jpgimenez/craftbeerpi3https://github.com/jpgimenez/craftbeerpi-plugins/blob/master/plugins.yaml

Thanks for that jangevaa. That certainly would have been nice to know about. Surprised it didn't come up with how much searching I did but its nice to have for the plug-ins. I'm glad it's now present on this thread for other users.

I can't personally speak to whether that fork will circumvent the new flask-socketio problems but I think it's likely. Definitely try that before tinkering whith what I described above.

Considering the video was uploaded by the project, makes me think he's working in the background. Be positive.

Hey guys, I've been on here and in the Electric Brewery section looking at wiring designs for several months. I've decided to go with RPi and it seems like CBPi is the best supported open source solution, so I'm ready to pull the trigger on a CBPi brew controller. I've been working on my parts list and drawing, but I'm a little confused about how to bring it all together.
  • I've bought an RPi 4B. Will any GPIO breakout HAT work? This one seems pretty straightforward: Amazon.com
  • I'm trying to blend the safety of a mechanical system (ala The Electric Brewery) with the GUI control of a computer based controller. To that end, I've tried to copy some of Doug's drawings, while replacing the PID with the RPi (using the CBPi Wiring drawing attached in this thread and here). See my first attempt at combining this attached.
  • I'm having trouble understanding how I hook the temp probes in and the pump (do I need a relay? How would that wire up?).
  • I'm not entirely sure I have the element/SSR hooked up right for this.
Sorry for the noob questions here. This is my first RPi and my first control panel, but I'm looking forward to taking my brewing to the next level. I really appreciate the help!!

Attachments

• Woots CBPi Panel.jpg
    Woots CBPi Panel.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 54
  • CraftBeerPi Wiring.png
    CraftBeerPi Wiring.png
    317.4 KB · Views: 46
Back