CraftbeerPI 3 odd behavior, advice needed.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larsen

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
On moth ago i build the the CBPI3 to release some old Siemens PLC's

First tests on the desktop, everything looks fine.

Moved to the brewery, and do manual PID tuning, and a short water brew. Great success. :)
PID-tuning and water-test. Successfully.

Brew day: Yesterday 11.07
First brew after PID-tuning and water-test was almost a disaster.

First I noticed that the kettles temp readings from the 18B20 temp sensors wasn't updated.
Well I was in the middle of heating op the brew water, so I just restarted the the box.

It help, I thought

After a fem minutes it wasn't updating again. The I went into the hardware settings and entered the setting for the temp sensor and clicked [Update], then the present value first showed 0 and the few secs later it was updated with the new present value. Great.

It helped, I thought. I have to repeat it constantly true out the brew day.

Then I started to get alarms about the temp sensors didn't have appropriate settings for changing the values I requested. I didn't change anything at that time, so I thought is was the reading from the sensors that suddenly wasn't allowed any more. So a "disk" flare?? I shut everything down, removed the power plug and removed the SD-card and put it back in again, and now the "permission" was back.

Then i suddenly "lost" to temp-sensors. I have 4: for the HLT, MT, BK and the wort cooler exit outlet. The ID's for the MT and the wort cooler vanished.

So I managed to keep my mash reasonable at the right temperature, by adding some hot water from the HLT once in a while.

So I transferred the wort to the BK and start heating. Just before it reached boiling, I realized that again I must manually update the temp reading, by updating the sensor in the hardware settings area.

I used the SimpleBoilLogic with Ramp Up Power to 100% and Boil Power 0,20, 50 or 70%, whatever at i used went full throttle, so i manually must turn the heat on and off to keep a rolling boil, and avoid a boil over. Well I got it boiled, and transferred to the fermenter, but while doing so the HLT suddenly started to boil, even the Sp was 80° C, but it stopped running I guessed, and just kept the heating elements on.

In between all this happening, I also found that sometime CPBI wasn't responsive. If I pressed the run-button, ti got focus but never became green. After a while, it got back to normal. This happened several times. Stressing to be ready to switch the circuit breakers, when you are close to a boil over.

The System temp of the RPI was 48° to 52° C the hole day.

My equipment:
CBPI 3.0 running on RPI3 B+ with a 16GB Samsung SD card. 3A power supply and a 7" RPI monitor attached.

HLT, MT uses PIDArduino
BK uses Simple Boil Logic

Brewery is a 3 vessel 200 liter system, with 3 pcs 5.500 W 240V elements in each 200 liter kettles, each element controlled by it's own 40A Solid state relay.

I use a 400V 3 phase pump controlled by a 3 phase high voltage frequency controller

5 200 L fermenters, insulated and liquid cooled by an old rebuild beer line cooler

Today: 12.07
I just entered the system, and all my temp sensors are back, the kettles shows what the have to, at everything reacts as it should.

Should i remove the RPI away from the frequency controller?
Is the System Temp to high.
Is the RPI 3 B+ to week?
Is it cause by interference?
Is there a way to shield the sensor cables?

Every peace of advice is highly appreciated.

Thank you

/lars

Latest posts

Back