Craft Malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic - In Remembrance 2023
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
am i seriously the only one here who malts their own?

i'd love to try other people's malts to compare with my own...effec wise and flavor wise...judge how clean it is, (i swear mine is better deculmed then what i get from more beer)

probably. i wouldn't mind trying it as a project, but i don't have a cheap source of raw barley.

probably. i wouldn't mind trying it as a project, but i don't have a cheap source of raw barley.

i see you have a "Most Feed & Garden"..you could call and ask if they'd order a 50lb bag of whole barley for you...probably be about $15.

i see you have a "Most Feed & Garden"..you could call and ask if they'd order a 50lb bag of whole barley for you...probably be about $15.
probably, but i'd have to be there during business hours. maybe in the spring when i have more free time on a saturday.

i forget other people have lives.....but really malting just takes some tossing once a day and a bath...

you can do it in a cooler for a 5 gallon batch.. i don't know why it's hard to get whole barley, i got two places local to me that stock it, but back in NorCal i had to have them special order it.

i work too much, so all my personal stuff tends to get relegated to saturdays. plus, now it's Christmas time, so i'm already spending too much on gifts for my work team, family, friend, etc.

i work too much, so all my personal stuff tends to get relegated to saturdays. plus, now it's Christmas time, so i'm already spending too much on gifts for my work team, family, friend, etc.

is that what it's like to live in the real world? :mug: to you!

I did some malting a while ago and the product was decent enough. The problem was always finding quality malting barley (read not feed barley) to start with at a reasonable price.

Last edited:
I think the best price I ever found was $1/lb for purported 2 row malting barley. So yea.. I quickly gave up on malting.

One interesting experiment was made with a hulless variant of barley which worked nicely. They idea was to sub a certain portion to try a partial endosperm mash.

So yea.. I quickly gave up on malting.

i did too, but got back into it...and now that i know long low heat is better then an hour of 212f heat. i swear it tastes better. might be my imagination though. i'm hoping to find out...

Another issue was waiting the prescribed ~6 weeks for aging after malting. Can't recall why the texts said was necessary but I guess it is.

Another issue was waiting the prescribed ~6 weeks for aging after malting. Can't recall why the texts said was necessary but I guess it is.

damn 6 weeks? it's straight from oven to mill for me! there's a lot of things i find work better for me in practice then the text books.....sorta like how for drying, they have chambers with lamps and computer fans and crap, i find all i need is a box fan and room temp air for a day....

I think malting your own barley is very cool. When I lived in Manitoba only about 5 hours drive from my partner's Uncle's farm in Saskatchewan (we went at least monthly), I always felt like I should do some. I thought if I helped seed it and combine it, it would be a full on cradle to grave sort of brew. I never did, but I regret it.
Good work. I am guessing its like anything you do from fixing your car or building a house to brewing your own beer there is a satisfaction in it that can't quite be quantified.

there is a satisfaction in it that can't quite be quantified.

LOL :mug: if you ever do malt your own. it's fun until the end, when you're lifting 23lb's over your head and holding it slowly to blow the rootlets off in front of a box fan! i'm still trying to figure out a better method, it's a PITA! ;)

I thought if I helped seed it and combine it, it would be a full on cradle to grave sort of brew. I never did, but I regret it.

i would regret that too!

crap like that is why it took me so long, to realize. this is all i need.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Pack-Ste...4a8c9c26efdaebdf313a|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2334524
you can a 1 pack at walmart.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Homz-Sweat...4bed96f9206936d3510b|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2334524
dry in a day, ready for kilning...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Comfort-Zo...071561&hash=item521c5682e6:g:vdcAAOSweS5eLxV6
i personally already had 3 of them, but...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Watt-1-T...659583?hash=item26189c63bf:g:NlIAAOSwDlda57Fi
200ohm resistor to lower the oven temp for kilning...and finally...

and a three way toggle switch, so i can still use the oven for food....can't find a good link but just a buck or two....

for some reason i'm looking at that last post....and i'm still malting my own sometimes, but for the life of me don't remember ever using a ladies gucci hand bag for it?

lol :mug:

(but i did just put some barley sprouts on the sweater drying racks with the box fan to dry....)

Back