crabapples

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Just picked about 75 pounds of crabapples. I figure that will get me three six gallon batches of wine. Got 25 pounds in potassium metabisulphite water right now. The recipe says to soak em in that then smash em up. Sound right to you guys?

I don't know. I've never heard of soaking them in sulfite solution and then breaking them up, so I can't help you with that.

I have 83 pounds worth right now in secondary- smashing that many crabapples was not fun. We froze them first, but it was still a big PITA! I use 6 pounds of crabapples per gallon of wine.

Did wine sap made one gal last year and wife and I did not like it..Can go to store and buy 5 gal of apple juice add 2 lbs of corn sugar and pack of yeast and there it is.....

I don't know. I've never heard of soaking them in sulfite solution and then breaking them up, so I can't help you with that.

I have 83 pounds worth right now in secondary- smashing that many crabapples was not fun. We froze them first, but it was still a big PITA! I use 6 pounds of crabapples per gallon of wine.
I used 4 pounds per gallon YOOP but these things are very sweet, some are red all the way through...My wife and I cored em and cut out the bad parts. I started with 25 pounds and have no idea how much was left after all of that. I ran that through a meat grinder and made a mush and added water to 6 gallons. added my acid blend and pectic enzyme etc and 9 pounds of sugar brought it to 1.090 So only 1.5 pounds of sugar per gallon.
Still have 50 more pounds but not sure I wanna try coring them again.. I need some way to smush em.

I used 4 pounds per gallon YOOP but these things are very sweet, some are red all the way through...My wife and I cored em and cut out the bad parts. I started with 25 pounds and have no idea how much was left after all of that. I ran that through a meat grinder and made a mush and added water to 6 gallons. added my acid blend and pectic enzyme etc and 9 pounds of sugar brought it to 1.090 So only 1.5 pounds of sugar per gallon.
Still have 50 more pounds but not sure I wanna try coring them again.. I need some way to smush em.

Well, the easiest way to smush em is to freeze them first. Then when they are partially thawed, smuch your heart out. It's a pain, but it works!

Well, the easiest way to smush em is to freeze them first. Then when they are partially thawed, smuch your heart out. It's a pain, but it works!

Maybe I will take my shoes off and stomp on em..get that toe jam flavor going on?

Just smooshed up another 25 pounds.. got it in the fermentor with the enzymes , sugar etc.. OG adjusted for temp is 1.084.. I will probably take it a bit higher but wanna let this cool off some to be sure my calculations are correct first.... NOBODY LAUGH but dropping a handfull into a bucket and then smashing them with your THOROUGHLY WASHED AND CLEAN heel is EASY as pie.. However if you step down on one that rolls up into your arch that HURTS!

My kitchen smells like fermenting apples.. smells REALLY good to me.. my wife doesn't seem too pleased.

I swear the last batch we made had a vomit-esque aroma once it got going. Bob didn't think so, but I was very happy to airlock it!

these smell wonderful. I have enough apples left for probably one more batch BUT I am running out of room to set the buckets and carboys. . I need a brew barn BADLY!!!

Back