CP's Brew Chart 3.0

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPooley4

Reaction score
[ame]http://rapidshare.com/files/447608527/CP_s_Brew_Chart_3.0.xls[/ame] - This is an updated link, again

Hello All,

I've finished the most recent upgrade. I've added quite a few more features and have rearranged for a cleaner/more functional layout. The last version was great, but this one is much better imo. A lot of that comes from all the suggestions/thoughts/etc... from users here in the previous thread (General Beer Discussion thread) and via pm and email. There was a lot of great feedback and I've done my best to incorporate as much of it as I could while still staying true to my vision of this project. I'm hoping there will be another round of great feedback here as well so this thing can keep moving forward and improving. All told it's become a fun project for me and I don't plan on stopping it anytime soon. You'll find that it's about as automated as it can be while still giving the user full control over almost everything.

Some of the new features:

1. Added a kegging calculator/how to which coincides with the bottle priming calculator/how to.
2. All ingredients are in drop downs now. The malts and other fermentables all prefill with max points/yield and color for each one. I also included the functionality for you to change those figures if you'd like and the ability for the user to add ingredients to those lists as well.
3. The Recipe Sheet tab and Brewday tab have been separated to clean it up. You can still design a recipe with all the ingredients on the same page for easy review. Once you're done with designing the recipe you'll have a dedicated tab to your brewday where all the math is taken care of for you so you can concentrate on brewing and measuring.

Please don't hesitate to ask questions and offer feedback. Your feedback last time around is what pushed this version to where it is now. Thanks to all that helped with feedback, testing, questions, etc... MX1 and NorCalAngler were nice enough to test this thing while I was developing it so thank you both for taking the time to do so as it really helped.

For those that have not used this in the past, here is a brief description of what you'd find if you download:

This workbook should allow you to design your beers and take them from the recipe design stage all the way to first taste while giving you the ability to do things optimally to produce the best beer you can. Each tab contains how to information based upon best practices found within the homebrewing community. You should find everything easy to use, automated where possible, and designed to help you concentrate on brewing and brewing well rather than math. If you use the Brewday tab properly it will do all the brewday math for you so you can just concentrate on your process and measurements. You will be able to track everything you need to track in order to replicate or troubleshoot the beer in the future.

Hope you enjoy it.

cp

No problem Jason.

Also, I just realized I forgot to unprotect the water profile tab starting water cells. I'll fix that when I get home and correct the link. Will post once it's been updated.

cp

[ame]http://rapidshare.com/files/447608527/CP_s_Brew_Chart_3.0.xls[/ame] - updated again

Updated link above with the cells unlocked. If you notice anything that you feel may not be working as it should, whether it's a locked cell or a calculation, please let me know.

The link in the original post has been updated as well.

Looks like about 40 people had already downloaded. If you are one of those 40 please make sure you re-download.

Please offer your feedback, questions, or ideas.

cp

Ok. CP

Bashing away on it again tonight trying to figure out how to work the Water Chem sheet.

in the dilution fields are both the % and the mount supposed to be locked?

I am starting with RO water so I have zero'd the top of the sheet. But how to I adjust for the dilution, it is at 100% correct?

Again, this thing is rock star silly....thanks so much

Tim

Ok. CP

Bashing away on it again tonight trying to figure out how to work the Water Chem sheet.

in the dilution fields are both the % and the mount supposed to be locked?

I am starting with RO water so I have zero'd the top of the sheet. But how to I adjust for the dilution, it is at 100% correct?

Again, this thing is rock star silly....thanks so much

Tim

Son of a you know what. I swear I unlocked those the last time I re-posted the link. My apologies. The link has been updated again, as well as, the link in my signature.

Here's the new link as well - [ame]http://rapidshare.com/files/447608527/CP_s_Brew_Chart_3.0.xls[/ame]

Neither the percent nor the amount should be locked. If you start with zeros in the starting water screen all you really should need to do is input the amounts of your mash and sparge waters though with nothing in the percent diluted cells.

If you notice anything else not working as it should please let me know. I'm disappointed I didn't catch that as there are plenty of people out there that downloaded and may not re-download. If any of you downloaded a previous link please make sure to re-download.

My apologies and if there are any other questions, thoughts, ideas, etc... please don't hesitate to post them.

cp

Hey guys and gals, make sure that you post any and all feed back in this thread so that CP can continue to make improvements.

Tim

Hey CP, once again wanted to thank you for all the work you have put into this.

A few things I was mulling over, in the process of trying to determine how much water is needed for a batch, does the sheet take into account things like:

Grain loss
Trub loss
Shrinkage

even if they are not part of a formula, just having them somewhere might be helpful.

ever your servant

Tim

Thanks again Tim.

The sheet accounts for grain absorption of the water for your mash water volume. However, it does not account for trub loss or shrinkage. You would want to account for that when you input your batch volume. I use a batch volume of about 5.5 - 6.0 for my 5 gallon recipes. That typically accounts for my trub/shrinkage/transfer losses etc...

Your boil volume will be increase accordingly based upon what you use for the boil off rate.

I've taken a bit of a hiatus with the sheet for the last month or so. I was spending way too much time on it, but was obsessed with getting it up to a certain standard. I think it's there now and is a great tool for any batch sparge brewer, especially those in the beginner to intermediate levels of all grain. Essentially covers just about anything a brewer would need for each batch from grain to glass. You were a great help by the way and I really appreciate that. It really helped push it to places quickly that it would have taken me much longer to get to.

I'll get back to it again soon and will take this feedback into consideration of course. I've been responding to the threads still and have some ideas for the improvements when I get back at it.

Anyone out there looking for a tool that pretty much does everything for you regarding beer math, brewday math, water profile calcs (EZ spreadsheet), yeast pitch calcs, bottling/kegging how to, etc... download the link in my signature below. I don't think you'll be disappointed, but if you are you can just delete it since it's free.

cp

Hey CP,

Thanks so much for this workbook, this is a really impressive set of work you've done. I haven't used this yet for a brew day, but am planning on it for my next. I wanted to make something similar myself, but it now seems silly considering all the work that has obviously been put in here.

Quick question: This may have been covered already, but I did a quick search and didn't come up with anything. Are there standard units for this thing? I'm assuming degrees F, gallons, pounds? For example, on the recipe sheet tab, grain amounts are in pounds? How about on the Lists and Specs tab, deadspace and trub loss are in gallons? Quarts?

One last question, is there any way to see the formulas used? I haven't worked with protected spreadsheets very much. If you want to keep that hidden, I would completely understand. On the other hand, since I was thinking of making something similar myself, being able to see the formulas would be a pretty cool learning opportunity.

Thanks so much!

Hey CP,

Thanks so much for this workbook, this is a really impressive set of work you've done. I haven't used this yet for a brew day, but am planning on it for my next. I wanted to make something similar myself, but it now seems silly considering all the work that has obviously been put in here.

Quick question: This may have been covered already, but I did a quick search and didn't come up with anything. Are there standard units for this thing? I'm assuming degrees F, gallons, pounds? For example, on the recipe sheet tab, grain amounts are in pounds? How about on the Lists and Specs tab, deadspace and trub loss are in gallons? Quarts?

One last question, is there any way to see the formulas used? I haven't worked with protected spreadsheets very much. If you want to keep that hidden, I would completely understand. On the other hand, since I was thinking of making something similar myself, being able to see the formulas would be a pretty cool learning opportunity.

Thanks so much!

No problem at all. Glad you like it.

Yes, F, gallons, and pounds typically.

Yes, gallons for deadspace and trub loss.

Yes, pm me your email address and I'll send you a copy without the protection.

If you go to the Brewing Software section of this forum there is a better discussion of the workbook there. Please feel free to join it. Always looking for ideas etc... for improvements and that is a great place to put suggestions and the like.

cp

Latest posts

Back