cover your primary??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leedawggy78

Reaction score
Oh wise beer makers,

I know that you should cover your secondary, but do should you cover your primary?
Just wondering.

Thanks

From light? Definitely, I use the boxes my carboys come in with a hole cut in the top for the airlock to stick through. Light at any time can skunk the hops in our beer.

The night time is the right time! The night time is the right time!

No you can leave it open. It's best to do open fermentation right next to where you mill your grains:D.

Kidding. It's best to keep all fermentation closed with an airlock or blow-off tube due to contamination risks. (Unless you're making a lambic;))

menschmaschine said:
No you can leave it open. It's best to do open fermentation right next to where you mill your grains:D.

Kidding. It's best to keep all fermentation closed with an airlock or blow-off tube due to contamination risks. (Unless you're making a lambic;))
I think he means if it's in a glass carboy...I use a plastic bucket. It doesn't need a shirt...;)

homebrewer_99 said:
I think he means if it's in a glass carboy...I use a plastic bucket. It doesn't need a shirt...;)

I use plastic buckets too. Does the plastic really block/dampen the UV light? All my primaries are always in my dark cellar so there is no light unless I am in there.

I don't need no stinkin blankets or boxes..................

I use a temperature controlled freezer. It's the best investment ever and the beer is awesome.

Latest posts

Back