Cover Sight Glass on Conical Dump Port?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy W

Reaction score
I'm taking the plunge into fermenting in a conical (Spike CF5 on its way) and intend to install a 2" sight glass off the bottom TC port to see what's going on when dumping trub or harvesting yeast. For others that have this setup, would you keep the sight glass covered most of the time to prevent light exposure?

Cheers

I have a sight glass on my bottom dump and have never covered it. It is in my basement but have never has any issue. At first it is full of cold break and later it is full of yeast.

I have a sight glass on my bottom dump and have never covered it. It is in my basement but have never has any issue. At first it is full of cold break and later it is full of yeast.
makes sense! thanks for your input.

Seems like "it depends". Is it in a dark basement? No need to worry. Is it in a garage next to a sunny window? Yeah, might need to cover it.

Cool idea by the way. Helps solve one of the things I don't like about SS fermenters.

Back