Couple of questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drathbone

Reaction score
I'm going to do an Edworts Apfelwein type recipe with white grape juice, an ale yeast and some fresh raspberries. Is there a particular way I should add the raspberries during fermentation? How much should I use for a strong raspberry flavor in a 5 gallon batch? What about bottling them without pouring all the raspberry leftovers? Can I dump fermented wine or does it get off flavors from being aerated?

This is when secondary fermentation comes in handy, rack your beer to secondary and add the raspberries at this time, or you could also add them in at the end of your boil for a more intense flavor and color.

Between 1 and 3 pounds is good, depends on their flavor, and sugar content. It's your brew make it how you will.

I always thought typically that fresh fruit should be added in the beginning with campden and removed after 7 days.

I'm sorry, but I don't know what this means. What is going to be short when racking?

In other words, if you add fruit to a carboy, when you go to pump it into another carboy, it won't fill it all the way back up because the fruit took up space. If you start out with a bucket primary, when the fruit is removed, there is still enough wine to fill the carboy. If you wanted to keep it in the primary longer, the fruit can be crushed and strained through a fruit bag, then soak the bag for a week then remove the bag.

I'm sorry, but I don't know what this means. What is going to be short when racking?

Drathbone,

Making wine is similar to brewing beer, but not exactly. If you stray too far from Edwort's recipe, you'll lose your bearings with words like "must", "lees", "top-off", etc. You may already know these words, and what they mean in wine-making and how to do them (I'm sorry if I sound patronizing), but if you don't you'll need to catch up.

If you want to flavor Edwort's recipe, your best bet is probably flavorings or syrups.

Back