Couple of questions from a newish brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sturg78

Reaction score
Hello all, I had a few questions regarding some new experiences I had while brewing an oatmeal stout AG.

-I had to move 2 weeks into fermentation. The primary sat in a warm (~72 deg) car and was shaken about while driving for about 45 minutes. Will the shaking cause any issues? I am letting the beer sit in primary another few weeks but am worried about oxidation as the fermentation is probably complete and not spitting out any protective CO2. Am I over thinking this?

-I piece wise upgraded my setup and ended up with a 5.5 gallon bucket and a 6.5 gallon carboy. I wanted to do something with secondary flavoring for my next batch and was curious if there would be an issue with 1+ gallons of head space in carboy. Should I assume there will be enough residual fermentation after say a week in the primary for CO2 to displace any oxygen in the head space or should I get a bunch of marbles to top the carboy off?

-Lastly, I am in a 3rd story apartment with no air conditioning in Portland, OR. I am afraid that without doing some construction my beer closet will probably be sitting at around 70-85 degrees over the summer. Is there a particular style of beer that will fair better in the heat or should I make a point of building an insulation box for my primary?

Thanks for the advice in advanced! :mug:

1- You should be ok, the beer was probably done fermenting after two weeks and had a nice C02 blanket on top of it.
2-Do you have a way to purge the carboy with C02 before you rack to the secondary?
3-Belgians love hotter temps, I have fermented a Saison with the WLP656 at close to ninety degrees before and the beer turned out great. It is better to start the ferment colder than that and let it gradually free rise, but you shouldnt have a problem starting any belgian at around 70 degrees.

Back