Couple Of Questions About Regulators And Co2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dice_Boken

Reaction score
I’m new to kegging and only have YouTube vids and threads here on HBT to go off of. I have a couple of quick questions: Why is there a metal piece on the threading of my pressure adjustment knob on my regulator? (See pics below) Is it to keep the knob from moving once I set it? Also, I’ve heard that when I’m carbing I should put the regulator on 5 psi and leave the Co2 on the keg overnight. How does that work? Does it stop putting Co2 in the keg once it reaches 5 psi? Does it keep putting Co2 in the keg after it reaches 5 psi? That doesn’t make any sense to me. Sorry for being a spaz and not knowing anything about this but that has me confused.
F078B03E-6DEA-4938-A358-B028DB7E05EA.jpeg
7C165257-0D56-481A-B640-0BC8A856B40F.jpeg

Yes, that nut is to fix the adjustment knob in place.

The regulator will keep feeding CO2 pressure to your keg until it reaches equilibrium. If I want my beer to have, say, 10psi at 38 degrees, I'll put the beer in my refrigerator/keezer at that temp and hook it up to the regulator at 10psi. After a period of days--10 days to 2 weeks--the beer will be carbonated to that level.

You can accelerate the carbonation by putting the pressure higher for a shorter period of time. Typically I might do 30 psi for 20 hours or so, then drop to the normal serving pressure. That'll get it close (depending on what I want for final pressure) and then finish at normal pressure. This, though, be careful doing. Overcarb it and it's a pain to try to get back down to acceptable pressure.

Back