Couple of ball corney keg rebuild question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdd12364

Reaction score
I am changing out orings of a corney keg & when I took off the ball disconnects from the keg I wanted to change out the dip tube orings when I noticed the gas in ball valve has a 2 inch piece of plastic that is connected up into the poppet instead of a s.s. tube , I was able to change out the liquid out dip tube oring as normal . I also changed out the external orings on both posts .

Another question is my poppetts do not seem to come out of posts ?

The corney keg is a Firestone , spartensburg , challenger VI

That 2" piece of plastic is the 'gas in' dip tube. It should pull out. The poppets can be pretty tight, sometimes I have to carefully push them out of the post with a small screwdriver. Being careful not to drive the screwdriver through your palm.

I beleive you but I don't want to break the flimsy peice of plastic & I thried to push out the poppet out through post with a small pick with no luck ,I guess I will try again just don't want to break anything I wanted to run accross the board first.

I beleive you but I don't want to break the flimsy peice of plastic & I thried to push out the poppet out through post with a small pick with no luck ,I guess I will try again just don't want to break anything I wanted to run accross the board first.
That particular post has the poppet locked in place. It cannot simply be pushed out.

D49b.jpg

The image shows where the poppet leg rests on a ledge. You will need to pry the leg off the ledge so that it can be removed.

P-J, that is exactly what it looks like to me , "the poppet leg rests on a ledge" so..... how do I take out the poppet without messing it up , then what do I do with the leg when I reinstall it ?

After I reinstall it do I need the leg to give the spring something to compress against to seal the post ?

I hooked up my post to a disconnect, it pushed it right out. I'm not sure if mine was actually on a ledge like that, or if it was just hung up on the threads. It was kind of a pain to get back in, but it's not impossible.

You can buy replacement plastic gas in tubes from Chi Company if I remember correctly. Check out their web site.

Personally, I would pull the original poppets and replace them with universal poppets. The locking ones are no fun to mess with. All of my kegs get their O rings replaced and universal poppets installed.

P-J, that is exactly what it looks like to me , "the poppet leg rests on a ledge" so..... how do I take out the poppet without messing it up , then what do I do with the leg when I reinstall it ?

After I reinstall it do I need the leg to give the spring something to compress against to seal the post ?
If it were mine - I would just clean and sanitize the assembly. I firmly believe that you will have no problems doing it that way.

If you really want to proceed with removing the poppet, you need to use a small screwdriver to pry one of the legs off of the ledge. Once that is done, pry a second leg off of the next ledge. Once you do that, the poppet will drop out.

When you go to reassemble it, you need to make sure all of the poppet legs are again firmly on the ledges. When I push that poppet type back into the post, I use a short piece of 1/4" or 3/8" copper tubing (just enough ID so that the spring post can move within it) and press the poppet back in place.

I really hope this makes sense and helps you in your adventure.

P-J

BTW: The image:
D49b.jpg

Is one of my custom drawings to illustrate a problem..

I sure hope it helped.

P-J

That drawing took out all the guess work & I thank you P-J , I think I will just leave the poppet in place & remove the whole post off of the keg & soak the post & poppet together in a bowl of cleaner then rinse & sanitize it .

Does anybody have a link to a universal poppet ?

Latest posts

Back