Couple n00b ECB questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

San_Diego_Matt

Reaction score
so I modded my ECB by putting the legs on the outside, swiss cheesing the charcoal pan and installing a real thermometer in the lid.

I'm a couple hours into my burn off/temperature control test run (no meat on there) and I seem to be running WAY hot.

I just drilled a hole in the lid and slid the thermometer in and used a bit of foil to create come pressure to keep it in there.

I also filled my chimney with lump charcoal and poured all of that into the charcoal pan. Is that too much charcoal?

I didn't drill any holes in the lid...maybe I should? I'm also not needing to fill the gaps between the lid and the barrel of the smoker and I'm still way hot.

Any suggestions?

26696_1513600078416_1186832634_31509712_875977_n.jpg

Try doing a half chimney with charcoal and placing on top of unlit charcoal in your pan. It's possible you just put too much in and didn't wait for the temp to settle out. One thing I used to do in my ECB was take the water pan and put a couple of fire bricks in it and then cover it with foil, it helped with adding some thermal mass.

I figured out that if you don't fill the water pan with something, you run REALLY hot.

for Sunday I filled the water pan with...water, was stuck at 250 all day and ended up with 2 fantastic bone in pork butts :D

Latest posts

Back