Counterflow Chiller as Steam Condenser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ivndrago

Reaction score
Say a video from BruBuilt that shows a Counterflow plate chiller being used as a steam condenser. Did not waste any water and captured about 1/2 gallon of steam (water).
The poster used a bucket of chilled water to recycle and use to chill the steam.
Any thoughts on using this approach?
Seems like a better solution from a water usage perspective and low cost of hardware while reaping the benefits of low power usage.
Appreciate the inputs.

Say a video from BruBuilt that shows a Counterflow plate chiller being used as a steam condenser. Did not waste any water and captured about 1/2 gallon of steam (water).
The poster used a bucket of chilled water to recycle and use to chill the steam.
Any thoughts on using this approach?
Seems like a better solution from a water usage perspective and low cost of hardware while reaping the benefits of low power usage.
Appreciate the inputs.
No knowledge regarding this practice but it sounds equatable. I have a jockey box chiller plate that I would like to use for something other than chilling beer. I would like to check that video out to see how I might use my chiller plate to accomplish that task. Thanks for your post, it has me thinking in this direction.

Thanks for your post. Hadn’t seen this before but it looks promising. In terms of fluid mechanics as long as you have a way to vent the boiling kettle, great. So theoretically you could run a 1-1/2” line away from kettle and have it vent outside, no water used. But the potential problem that arises is similar to using the plate chiller as show: how much DMS & other compounds are actually left in you wort vs. boiling without lid. If it’s negligible then it’d open up other options for brewing indoors.

Always interesting to read what others think about the topic.

Cheers 🍻

FWIW - even though antidotal there has been great feedback from people using steam slayer or Spike condensate lid without any off-flavors in finished product. Seems there are a lot of possibilities to devise other methods 👍

Totally fair use of a brazed plate exchanger as a condenser. Large distillation processes have used plate exchangers as condensers as they are a lot more space efficient (I used to work for a company that sold a lot to the fuel ethanol industry). The unibrau chiller looks especially suited as the plates are fairly wide so you don't have a lot of inlet restriction as you are trying to flow in vapor. Just remember that for these chillers the plate spacing was optimized for chilling liquids, the unibrau may be able to get away with it, however I would be apprehensive using skinnier chillers like the dudda diesel or the therminator. YMMV.

Interesting idea! I haven't really given it much though since I brew in my shop where I don't need one. If I ever move into an apartment I'll have to hook up a steam Condenser for sure

The only issue is you might need to dedicate that plate chiller or CFC to the task. I've never run a steam condenser, but from what I've read the condensed steam has a bunch of off flavors like corn/DMS.

Latest posts

Back