Correct batch sparging technique?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stemet

Reaction score
Hello brewers,

Quick question (that may lead to some debate) on batch sparging:

Once you are done mashing, mashout and recirculate, do you completely drain the wort before adding sparge water or do you take out only some and then add it? And if not, would you ever completely drain after adding the sparge water?

My worry is that when you completely drain, too many tanins will be released.

I prefer complete runoff then batch sparge and I have never had an issue. On my sours I don't sparge at all because I want it very starchy

The are million ways to successfully batch sparge. What's important is that you thoroughly stir before draining. Tannins won't be a problem if the pH stays within a reasonable range.

Personally I stir the mash vigorously, drain first runnings completely, measure what I collected which lets me know exactly how much sparge water to add, stir like mad and drain fully again.

I don't do a mashout. I drain the tun completely and then sparge, usually in two halves. I do the first then measure the collected wort and get the final amount in the second half.

It is my understanding that it is a combination of heat and ph that will extract the tannins. I have also read that you are unlikely to have a serious problem with this when doing batch sparging.

I have never worried about it and have never had any issues. Though, I am not sure I would know tannins if I did taste them. Most of my brews, imho, compare favorably with any commercial beer.

So I would say drain and don't worry about tannins.

Oh yeah, mashout is entirely unnecessary when batch sparging. Also temperature will not extract tannins, it's entirely a pH issue that leads to tannin problems. After all, decoction is a time tested technique that works as long as the pH is reasonable. You have no reason to worry.

When I used to batch sparge, and when I help my buddy brew on my old system, I would drain the entire cooler. Then pour in the sparge water, stir for a solid 5 minutes, vorlouf, and drain. This typically netted low 70s efficiency.

I don't do a mash out, but add enough 175 - 180 degree water so I get half of the boil volume from the first runnings and half from second runnings. My old mash tun was smaller and I had to drain first if doing a big beer. I do get better efficiency now, but can't say for sure if that's the reason.

I don't do a mashout. I drain the tun completely and then sparge, usually in two halves. I do the first then measure the collected wort and get the final amount in the second half.

It is my understanding that it is a combination of heat and ph that will extract the tannins. I have also read that you are unlikely to have a serious problem with this when doing batch sparging.

I have never worried about it and have never had any issues. Though, I am not sure I would know tannins if I did taste them. Most of my brews, imho, compare favorably with any commercial beer.

So I would say drain and don't worry about tannins.

+1 I do this allot

Latest posts

Back