Corona mill is a piece of junk!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNGabe

Reaction score
I spent like $20 dollars on the POS, plus the washers, new bolt, free icing buckets, piece of 2x4, drywall screws, and olive oil can for the hopper, and the damn thing doesn't even hit 75% efficiency!

it hit 85%:rockin:

I'm still using a Corona and hit 75(+)% regularly since I started conditioning my malt. If you don't condition, my only advice is to let the malt rest an hour or so before milling. Hope this helps.

Why blame the tool when you choose the wrong tool. Those are meant to grind flour, which they do reasonably well, used one for ten years when I lived in Kansas to grind local wheat for bread. Amazingly, most farmers would just give me the wheat. If you want to crush grain, buy a roller mill.

I spent like $20 dollars on the POS, plus the washers, new bolt, free icing buckets, piece of 2x4, drywall screws, and olive oil can for the hopper, and the damn thing doesn't even hit 75% efficiency!

I've had to back down on my crush a bit in the past when I got some insane high efficiencys, which caused some astringency issues. My house beers are dialed in at 78-80% now, very happy with those #s.

Why blame the tool when you choose the wrong tool. Those are meant to grind flour, which they do reasonably well, used one for ten years when I lived in Kansas to grind local wheat for bread. Amazingly, most farmers would just give me the wheat. If you want to crush grain, buy a roller mill.

I think you're missing the entire point of this thread or his post. He's being facetious. He's saying that rather than getting a measly 75% he's getting what Charlie Papzian gets with his. MUCH HIGHER.

Yes, Charlie Papazian and several thousand other brewers on this planet don't tend to agree with you. Since BEFORE roller mills were available to homebrewers, folks around the world were using the humble corona mill to brew beer with. That historical homebrewing fact seems to have been forgotten with the advent of cheap roller mills. But back in the day the corona WAS STATE OF THE ART for our hobby.

You might want to look at this thread, to at least education yourself on that fact....

Best $30 purchase. Ever.

I started grain conditioning the last few batches and it does a bang up job of keeping the husks completely intact. If you are worried about astringency, add that to your routine and you should be golden.

I use one every time I brew, works great! I just use a garbage bag and wrap it around the mill to catch everything...

Why blame the tool when you choose the wrong tool. Those are meant to grind flour

The corona style mill is actually not a "flour" mill; read up on some of the home flourmilling websites and you will quickly discover that. It is meant to grind corn.

That said, some do use it for flour and are happy with it, and still others use it for cracking open the husks of malted grains for brewing purposes and are happy with their results-- such as the OP.

I think the corona style mill is pretty swell. Just trying to get a laugh and certainly did. I'll have to look into conditioning, but I'm very happy with the grind I'm getting now. Probably a bit more flour than is ideal, but with pretty good husk integrity and very, very few whole grains. Looking forward to seeing how it does with some local floor malted 6 row & rye I just picked up.

"Corona mill is a piece of junk!"

I absolutely agree, they are junk! Junk that just so happens to to do a pretty good job crushing grain if you have a little mechanical apptitude and patience.

I saw Revvy's post and must say, I am gonna steal that design :) I've also read up on conditioning the malt first, sounds like that will help out...So now I just have to get the Corona Mill and put it to the test...

I love my mill. I got lucky with one that I didn't need to modify at all to produce a very uniform grind.

image-1153458561.jpg

Latest posts

Back