Corona mill crush test

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Charlieatthedisco

Reaction score
I have been testing my corona mill to get it dialed in for a good crush, I want to know what I should be looking for? Here is a pic of what I think is decent so far
Thanks

image-127180981.jpg

joeybeer

Reaction score
You can probably crush quite a bit finer, it looks like some are uncrushed... They say to tighten it as far as you dare, then give it a couple more turns !

mfraier

Reaction score
You can go quite a bit finer than that and not get a stuck sparge with most systems. Crank it down a couple of turns.

OP
Charlieatthedisco

Charlieatthedisco

Reaction score
I'll give it a shot, I did put one washer on each screw though to give it some more play power

Polboy

Reaction score
looks too coarse to me, with my corona i cranked it really hard, used it and get stuck sparge, then with next brew i loosen it just a little bit (1/10 of a turn or so) and it was perfect, i was surprised how fast mash tun drained, efficience was close to 80% but i had a hard time to say that difference in the crash was noticeable, i guess you should experiment a little. Also how fine you can go depends on your tune as well so you will get very little help on fine tuning your crash from people on the forum

H-ost

Reaction score
Ideally you want the husks mainly intact (open but intact). They help to serve as a filter to keep from getting a stuck sparge.

R2-D2

Reaction score
It's really hard to tell from that last picture. I can say that I have finally dialed in my corona mill and switched to a Braided Stainless Steel manifold that resulted in 83% efficiency. You want to find that sweet spot with your mill that breaks open nearly all the grain that goes through it AND leaves a lot of the hulls intact. Give it a few times and you will get there.

Polarbeer

Reaction score
Can anyone take a look at my crush and give me a thumbs up or thumbs down?

Thanks

IMAG0165.jpg

jwible204

Reaction score

Thanks
That crush looks ok, but a little inconsistent. There's some untouched kernels and others that are destroyed. I've never experienced issues from having too fine of a crush but I know tannins are a concern. I would try opening up the diameter a hair.

H-ost

Reaction score

Thanks
That looks very similar to mine, it has worked great for me but if it isn't "ideal" I think my problem would be my drill speed and not my gap, is your mill drill operated?

Latest posts