Corny O-Ring ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

auto

ARC Brewing
Reaction score
Have a done of ton of searching on this subject.

Just bought two more corny's from the LHBS. Very syrupy, but the corny's cleaned up nicely with some soaking with PBW.

Now to the next part. The O-ring to the bale/bung reeks of syrup. Have tried PBW, Vinegar, and bleach. Still smells. I know the easy solution is to replace the O-Ring, anything I have missed in trying to clean?

Did you take apart the posts and dip tubes for long soak?

O rings are not worth cleaning. Just replace them like you are thinking.

The general rule is to replace all 5 o-rings when you get a used keg. There's the large one that you are mentioning, plus two small ones, one on each post, and two even smaller ones for each diptube, the long liquid out and the small gas in. It's just about impossible to get the smell out of them. Somewhere around here is a link to some place like McMaster-Carr that has them cheap. It's about $5 from a LHBS to get a whole set for one keg.

O rings are cheap. You can probably find a complete gasket replacement kit online for $2-$3. That shold have your O ring, and gaskets for both your posts.

EdWort said:
Did you take apart the posts and dip tubes for long soak?

O rings are not worth cleaning. Just replace them like you are thinking.

Yes. Have the kit, just hate to throw away if I don't have to, I have my answer as usual. Thanks to everyone.:mug:

BLL, How much was shipping? You're in the same neighborhood (relatively) as me and I'm about to pull the pin on about 10 used kegs on a bulk buy in another thread. My LHBS charges at least $5 for one set of the dumb things and I'm going to buy the O-rings probably from McM-C to have enough for all.

FWIW, I have a post in classifieds. $2 a set with $1 shipping and I include the x type rings for gas and liquid tubes.

Anyway, I have also found the keg lube/grease to be VERY helpful on older kegs. Instant sealing.

Brewsmith said:
BLL, How much was shipping?
I bought one hundred each of the dip tube and post o-rings, and ten for the lid. Shipping was $4.00, which I believe is their minimum shipping cost.

Their online catalog is HUGE, but with the part numbers it's easy to find the correct o-rings. Just for convenience, I'll repeat them here.

9452K172 Dip Tube O-ring 100 for $1.89
9452K23 Post O-ring 100 for $2.15
9452K218 Lid O-ring 10 for $12.31

http://www.mcmaster.com/

As a former Hydraulics troop on F-16's and A-10's I can tell you that rings are rings. The only thing you need to worry about is whether or not they have the same fit, design. Lube is very helpful and will make your rings last 10X longer if you use them. Don't buy the expensive ones, they will maintain just as well as the cheap ones with lube and proper cleaning and maintenance. Don't EVER use anything that will pit them or scar them when you are pulling them off. Use brass if possible so it doesn't scratch the surface or the ring. Good Luck

I have some "Sanitary Petrol-Gel Lubricant", ordered from N Brewer. So should I just smear some of that on ALL 5 o-rings when I replace them. Also, would this stuff be OK to use on my new hand carved mash paddle to seal and season it as you would a cutting board?

That's what I do with it. I smear some all around and then wipe off the excess. Stuff works GREAT on sealing a Lid O-ring.

For you paddle, you should use mineral oil. That's what I've always done with cutting boards anyway. Someone will probably pipe up about something better.

That's what I do with it. I smear some all around and then wipe off the excess. Stuff works GREAT on sealing a Lid O-ring.

For you paddle, I would use mineral oil. That's what I've always done with cutting boards anyway. I have no clue if this stuff would work. But it's VERY thick once on your hands.

I would NOT use mineral oil (or any oil) on my mash paddle. I'm afraid it'll give me some head retention issues. I use mineral oil for cutting boards and salad bowls, etc, but not for my mash paddle. Maybe I'm just paranoid, though.

Sorry to have changed topic or "hijacked" the thread. Should I use nothing to season the paddle? It's made of Yellow poplar, Liriodendron tulipifera, largest tree in the Eastern Deciduous forest. The paddle seems to repel water somewhat without any treatment.

Back