Corny o-ring and cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IchLiebeBier

Reaction score
All,
I did my first hard cider this fall and I kegged it in a free keg. Should I replace the o-rings before I put beer in it?

I don't know if the flavor will be affected.

Thanks.

Assuming the rings in question are in good condition, I wouldn't replace them, just give 'em all a good cleaning and a soak in sanitizer. Cider's close enough to beer that I don't think there'd be any carryover once you'd given everything a good cleaning. Unlike root beer, which for some reason just totally messes with everything, for-fricken-ever.

Otoh, if there's any question about their integrity, this is a good time to change them out...

Cheers!

I've kegged a 9% cider a couple different times, and one was in the keg for 5 months. I just filled my keg with oxyclean and water and soaked my keg parts and my o-rings in the full keg overnight. I rinsed thoroughly with warm water and let dry. Myself, nor my brew club members, have never got any cider off flavors from the next beer that went into those kegs.

Back