corny kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vrodbrad

Reaction score
Good day all. I had just picked up 5 corny kegs. 4 pin locks and one ball lock. one pin lock does not have the pin lock connections though. I figured changing the ball lock to a pin lock. so all are the same. what modification would I need to do to the ball lock to convert to pin lock. or are ball locks better and change the pin locks to ball.

Some people like the pin locks better because you cannot accidentally put a gas fitting on a liquid line and vise versa. I use ball locks because that was the first keg I bought 20 years ago.....aside from the dimensions of the keys and the manual prv they are identical in function..... Just pick a path and follow it. Adventures in homebrewing has all the parts you need.

Some people use both because if you do certain beers(sours) it is helpful to have a second set of gear so you don't cross contaminate. Although if you do your sanitation right, I don't see how you would.

okay thanks guys for the input guys. have a great weekend

You may also want to put out a feeler on the For Sale section / craigslist / facebook to see if there’s anyone in your area looking for ball locks…typically they seem to be more popular and thus more expensive. You might get lucky and find someone who’s willing to trade a pin lock for a ball lock. I know if I had a spare pin-lock I would offer you that trade any day (because all my other kegs are ball).

I think I will just convert the ball lock into a pin lock, but good advice.

The only other issue ball lock to pin lock is dimensions. Pin lock kegs are bigger in diameter and shorter. So fitting them in a kegerator could be an issue.

I've read that some people use John Guest fittings on the kegs. This way they can VERY easily swap lines between pin and ball anytime. I would just use what you have and get the fittings. It will be probably the cheapest. I'll try and fine the forum that talks about the JG fittings. I know I'm going to use them for my setup... I will only have ball locks but it will make changing and cleaning line VERY easy!

John Guest Fittings

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=587986

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=284665

Back