Corny keg pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, in the USA pure c02 bottles are rated at 1800 psi. I jumped to the wrong conclusion early on.

In my opinion, his 1800 psi is still too high even if it’s beer gas. Here is a picture of my 75/25 nitrogen/CO2 blend sitting at 66°. This tank is nearly new and reading 1400 psi (bottom gauge)... I don’t think it was ever much above 1500 when it was new.
View attachment 708379
What should i do to lower
And yes the gauge in the left in your pic is the tank pressure. The other gauge is what your pushing to the keg.
Cool juat to make sure im not too high on the left if you think i need adjustment they will sit overnight at
Sorry, in the USA pure c02 bottles are rated at 1800 psi. I jumped to the wrong conclusion early on.
Any advice helps im watching videos now so maybe my next step is figuring out gas line lenght and will this affect psi

Attachments

• 20201129_211808.jpg
    20201129_211808.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
What should i do to lower?
There’s nothing you can really do to lower the reading on your tank pressure gauge.
Cool juat to make sure im not too high on the left if you think i need adjustment they will sit overnight at
You’ll be fine as long as you swap tanks and take care of it tomorrow. You can’t adjust that reading.

Any advice helps im watching videos now so maybe my next step is figuring out gas line lenght and will this affect psi
Gas line length will not fix your problem. Line length is only applicable on the liquid side to counter balance the pressure in your keg so your beer doesn’t foam when you pour it.

What should i do to lower

The line length will not affect your gas PSI Line length matters on the liquid out side. If your pours are too carbonated longer lines can help reduce excessive foaming.

Thanks a lot guys this was very helpful and might have save my brew! I will disconnect the 50/50 in the morning and reconnect with 100% co2 when i arrive home from work and hopefully i will have my fridge and create my kegerator.. use may here from me again if i run into any struggles!!

Just make sure to purge the gas in the keg already, when you hook up the pure co2 mix. You will want to remove as much of the nitrogen in the headspace as possible. It should be negligible, but you want more co2 in the keg than nitrogen as the co2 will dissolve into the beer carbonating it. The nitrogen will not dissolve into the liquid.

Just make sure to purge the gas in the keg already, when you hook up the pure co2 mix. You will want to remove as much of the nitrogen in the headspace as possible. It should be negligible, but you want more co2 in the keg than nitrogen as the co2 will dissolve into the beer carbonating it. The nitrogen will not dissolve into the liquid.
Was thinking that alright! ill make sure to purge it plenty with co2 and hopefully be on the right track, and once i have my keg in the fridge i will correct the psi according to the temp chart. The co2 cannister will be outside the fridge on ambient temperature. Do you think that will be a problem?

I have filled the kegs and set the pressure at 18 psi (what i think irls 18 psi for now) do you think i should bring it down to 12psi?
I hook my finished beer up to the CO2 and blast it at 30psi while rolling it on it’s side for a full 5 minutes. Then I put it in my chest freezer for 3 hours and it’s got good carbonation and is ready to go every time. This is the burst carbonation method.

I hook my finished beer up to the CO2 and blast it at 30psi while rolling it on it’s side for a full 5 minutes. Then I put it in my chest freezer for 3 hours and it’s got good carbonation and is ready to go every time. This is the burst carbonation method.
I might try that without fear of an explosion! Do you disconnect the gas while u roll it?

I think you should try to keep the gas connected and let us know how that goes. Take pics. :D
Ive had an issue myself i got the wrong gas sunday and i have been busy working since. I finally got the gas today and my 2 kegs of beer have been in the cold garage since sunday so im hoping they will be ok.. possibly still slightly fermenting

Ive had an issue myself i got the wrong gas sunday and i have been busy working since. I finally got the gas today and my 2 kegs of beer have been in the cold garage since sunday so im hoping they will be ok.. possibly still slightly fermenting
They were fermented 2 weeks on sunday so i transfered from primary to corny keg and they have been without gas pressure since sunday. Im hoping this will not be a major problem

I might try that without fear of an explosion! Do you disconnect the gas while u roll it?
The kegs have a pressure rating of 130psi so there really is no issue at all with 30. While I’m rolling it I keep it hooked up then disconnect it when I put it in the freezer. It’s not an exact science but it’s never failed me just be sure it’s at at least 30.

I generally put two kegs on CO2 at serving pressure 10PSI. Usually I'm drinking from the first keg, the second keg catches up in a few days.

I keep the CO2 bottle on the door. It is a tight fit, but it closes smoothly. I reversed the regulator to get it all to fit inside the 4.4 cubic foot mini refrigerator.

I mark the side of the keg with black electric tape - a long tape to denote the long dip tube side, a short tape to denote the gas in side. This would correspond with the tube lengths inside the keg. Makes it quicker than looking for the notch on the fittings!
IMG_1984.JPG

Last edited:
They were fermented 2 weeks on sunday so i transfered from primary to corny keg and they have been without gas pressure since sunday. Im hoping this will not be a major problem
That’s not a problem at all it’s the same thing as letting it sit in the fermenter. One thing I’ve learned is that a lot of the worry isn’t needed. The only bad brew I ever had was my very first time when temp control got way to high. With time you figure out what works for you and the stress goes away.

Guys i cant state how amazing this website is and all your replies im advancing quickly at this with all your help. I have my kegs sitting in the shed all week and its peak winter in ireland so very cold! Ive noticed every day my regulator has been going from 10psi to 20psi so im turning it back down to ten everyday. I just purchased a decent sized chest freezer so im planning on turning it into a kegerator with the addition of a third corny keg and i could possibly fit my gas in. Ill upload photos of my freezer and planned progress ( screenshots from a youtube vid) and any advice more then welcome!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201204-184202_Advertsie.jpg
    Screenshot_20201204-184202_Advertsie.jpg
    541.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20201204-184648_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20201204-184648_YouTube.jpg
    435.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20201204-184714_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20201204-184714_YouTube.jpg
    532.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20201204-185008_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20201204-185008_YouTube.jpg
    675 KB · Views: 7
There’s lots of keezer threads on here if you search. I got a 7.5 cubit feet chest freezer it fits 6 kegs and 5 pound co2 perfectly but now I wish I went bigger but really we just don’t drink at home a lot lol. It’s actually really easy to build the only thing I need help with is my husband drilled the holes in the collar for the taps.

Attachments

• 7CC26BE1-D5A5-4102-AD23-14E6FD09FCFC.jpeg
    7CC26BE1-D5A5-4102-AD23-14E6FD09FCFC.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 19
  • 1800C025-DE7E-4F47-8E25-4AAACA002F7E.jpeg
    1800C025-DE7E-4F47-8E25-4AAACA002F7E.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 20
Very nice im thinking 3 kegs but maybe i should fit 4 if i can going from your experience! Really like your set up

Last edited:
Back