Corny keg cold crash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzybee

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a couple of beers fermenting in 6 gallon torpedo kegs. They are each on a blowoff into starsan. At the end of fermentation, I'd like to cold crash these in place. Will there be a pressure reduction problem if I just pull off the blowoff? Should I hit them with some CO2 first? Or maybe put them on a spunding valve before fermentation is complete to build up some pressure?

Your beer will likely contain somewhere around .6 to .8 volumes of CO2 at the end of fermentation. Assuming a reasonably "full" keg, that dissolved CO2 will allow you to simply seal the keg and crash it. Just like a can of beer, the CO2 will prevent the keg from collapsing as it cools...

Cheers!

Your beer will likely contain somewhere around .6 to .8 volumes of CO2 at the end of fermentation. Assuming a reasonably "full" keg, that dissolved CO2 will allow you to simply seal the keg and crash it. Just like a can of beer, the CO2 will prevent the keg from collapsing as it cools...

Cheers!
Along the same lines, I'm planning a kolsch and want to lager it in my keg. I ferment in a separate fermenter and do a closed transfer to my kegs. Does is make a difference if I lager under pressure or should I carbonate after lagering is completed?

After a few days when the blow off slows down, you can replace the gas poppet and just let it pressurize naturally before fermentation is complete. Either use a spunding valve, or replace the PRV with a low PSI PRV (the red ones are about 25psi). Or even just put a pressure gauge on the gas post and manually vent the PRV a few times.

If you are properly carbonated at your fermentation temperatures, cold crashing after will not drop the pressure enough to unseat the keg lid.

Back