Corney Keg lid leaking.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coffeybean

Reaction score
I have a kegerator with four kegs in it. I’ve had it for about 3 1/2 years. I’ve had various issues as all novice keg owners will have because of the various variables involved in leaking co2 and beer. However, i have never had trouble eith co2 leaking from the lid.
last keg filled, the CO2 left it overnight. I started to refill it and I realized it was leaking somewhere in the lid I thought it was the release valve but it seems to be around the lid when I squirt bleach water on it. I tried a different lid same thing. I took it to the local brew shop had lids he tested, they said they were fine, I bought new O-rings anyway. I took them home tried them again like 5x each, still leaking even with a new O-rings. Even setting the psi at like 25/30 to fill the tank it’sjust blowing co2 through the seal of the lid. I took the whole keg to the brew shop and he put 30 psi in it no problem, sprayed star san all over it no problem, sent me on my way. I was like “well thank you very much I don’t know what you did that I didn’t but OK”. Anyway, today my entire CO2 canister was empty as was the keg. The others are fine. So, the oressure lasted about 48 hrs. I’ve attempted to reseat the lids again, both of them separately and I can’t, I just cannot, CO2 is just blowing out through the lid. I’ve never had this problem before in 3.5 years. I think I’m just gonna go buy another corny keg because there’s obviously something wrong here and I’m gonna lose 5 gallons of beer if I don’t get this fixed.

I'm thinking you need to have your regulator tested or try a different regulator. It seems like you may be sending tank pressure straight through to your kegs and popping the relief valves open.

I'm thinking you need to have your regulator tested or try a different regulator. It seems like you may be sending tank pressure straight through to your kegs and popping the relief valves open.
But the other two full kegs are fine? And up until this fill I have not had an issue. The regulator is relatively nee as in a year. No other issues.

Try turning the lid 180° and use a little keg lube to help get it in place. These type of kegs usually seal under pressure alone, even without the lever engaged. Try engaging and disengaging the lever a few times to wiggle the lid into its correct position. I found it helped with my older Cornelius kegs, which had worn lever feet. The coin trick sounds like a good idea. You can get replacement feet for the lever. Much cheaper than dumping what is probably a good keg.

One think I have notices in my corny kegs, is the surface on the sealing surface / lid on the keg and get dirty or even bent. When I clean my kegs, I will take a piece of scotch bright or other rough cleaning pan and scrub the lip real well. Hope you get this figures out
Also, be careful with bleach on stainless, it is very corrosive
Cheers

If the guy at the shop couldn't get it to leak, then it really does sound like an issue with your regulator. Try tapping very gently on the PSI gauge to see if the needle moves; I had this happen to my old regulator, needle was stuck no matter how high I dialled the psi.

be around the lid when I squirt bleach water on it. I tried a different lid same thing.

i had a bad lid once i had to replace, because it got a notch bent into it...maybe something similar happened to your keg?

you say you see it bubbling with the water from the lid, is there a notch or anything in the keg it's bubbling from? or run your finger on the rim inside underneath, make sure there's not a hop pellet or something...did you dry hop this batch?

I have a kegerator with four kegs in it. I’ve had it for about 3 1/2 years. I’ve had various issues as all novice keg owners will have because of the various variables involved in leaking co2 and beer. However, i have never had trouble eith co2 leaking from the lid.
last keg filled, the CO2 left it overnight. I started to refill it and I realized it was leaking somewhere in the lid I thought it was the release valve but it seems to be around the lid when I squirt bleach water on it. I tried a different lid same thing. I took it to the local brew shop had lids he tested, they said they were fine, I bought new O-rings anyway. I took them home tried them again like 5x each, still leaking even with a new O-rings. Even setting the psi at like 25/30 to fill the tank it’sjust blowing co2 through the seal of the lid. I took the whole keg to the brew shop and he put 30 psi in it no problem, sprayed star san all over it no problem, sent me on my way. I was like “well thank you very much I don’t know what you did that I didn’t but OK”. Anyway, today my entire CO2 canister was empty as was the keg. The others are fine. So, the oressure lasted about 48 hrs. I’ve attempted to reseat the lids again, both of them separately and I can’t, I just cannot, CO2 is just blowing out through the lid. I’ve never had this problem before in 3.5 years. I think I’m just gonna go buy another corny keg because there’s obviously something wrong here and I’m gonna lose 5 gallons of beer if I don’t get this fixed.
Re slow leaks from your 5 gallon corny keg -- ... had the same issue - which I solved by adding a thin coating of food-grade grease. When installing the lid, hold the center part and bring it upward to seat, being very careful to keep it level- or parallel with the top portion of the c.k. You could also closely inspect that rubber seal- and possibly simply replace it. Then there those soapy bubble-makers that kids like. You could apply a layer of that liquid and observe for any bubbles. Tom

As stated above , turn the lid 180 and use keg lube on both sides of the O-ring.
I read an article years ago that said to set the keg in front of you with gas post to the right side.
Then install the lid so the handle pulls down and locks closest to you while centering the lid.
If this fails, check for debris under the O-ring and the lip inside the keg itself.
Good luck, co2 leaks suck or blows in this case.

You can only have different results with the same keg in two places if either there is an external problem at your home or the guy at the shop did something you didn't.

Are you putting on the lid the same way the guy did at the shop? You're getting a lot of responses about turning the lid. Have you tried that yet? Some kegs are just a little more temperamental about how the lid goes on, especially if it is not an exact fit. Some kegs have replacement lids that are "universal" but not really universal to every single keg. If it worked at the shop, you just need to fit the lid the same way they did it. Maybe take it back and see if they can replicate pressurizing the keg and show you how they made it work.

Is this a ball lock or pin lock keg? Many pin locks have lids which can’t be reversed because the handle is wider than the space between the posts. I have 8 pin locks but only 2 of them have the ball lock style, reversible, lids.
12F144A2-0427-42C6-BE1E-FC1B3A47BE6C.jpeg

This might help while solving your problem. I bought some used kegs recently, and the fellow gave me one and said he wouldn’t charge for it because he thought it leaked. It did have an ugly dent on top, near the lid opening. ( this was a 10 gallon keg, so plenty of room to drop something heavy on it.) They all had been idle for awhile. I decided that I would test them all before putting them into service. However, I didn’t want to use that much CO₂ to check six 5’s and three 10’s. So, I took a spare gas connector and attached a very short piece of tubing with an oetiker clamp. I took a schrader valve, (like the ones on your tires) and clamped it to the other end of the short tube. Now, I could fill my kegs with regular compressed air and get a good test without using any CO₂
I put air in; checked them the next day with a tire gauge using the same rig. They all tested fine, so I gave them all a thorough cleaning.
5AA6807D-3E5F-4C27-8AD8-CE6C887EAB6D.jpeg

Last edited:
Is this a ball lock or pin lock keg? Many pin locks have lids which can’t be reversed because the handle is wider than the space between the posts. I have 8 pin locks but only 2 of them have the ball lock style, reversible, lids.
View attachment 776468

These are pin lock. Traditionally they come with the larger handles. I also have pin lock kegs and they have a mix of lids.

I would do what @wsmith1625 suggests as this is the same way I seat lids and never have issues.

View attachment 776468

and it should be noted, i think those PRV's are one time use...once they saftey release, time for a new lid?

edit: my ball lock lids start venting around 50psi, so if those blow at similar?

Coke (pin lock) kegs have a screw-in "automatic PRV" that can be replaced - if you can find any.

1659393796076.png

Matt at chicompany.net still advertises replacement PRVs but notes they aren't being manufactured any longer and at some point he's gonna run out and one will need to buy a new lid...

Cheers!

I cleaned all mine out with PBW and placed new o-rings all around. I plan to use Starsan to sterilize before filling..

My CO2 hasn't been hooked up since before the last owner over three years ago.

Does CO2 keep OK?

Back