Cornelius Keg Lid with TC Clamp opening?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update: Success!! (?)

I started over with a second lid. Cut a new hole further from the PRV, flipped the bail, and tested with a clamp. Fits with plenty of clearance. All in all, it took less than an hour after work today to do. The obvious problem seems to be that the bail will only fit single handle kegs now.

View attachment 734729

I am working on a lid doing exactly the same thing, it is a matter of time when a shop sell custom lids with 1.5" TC. Wondering i guess you ferment on a fermentation chamber, i have the best results fermenting with a thermowell for precise temperature. I am thinking on a smart solution as using a Tilt to check remote temperature control.

I am working on a lid doing exactly the same thing, it is a matter of time when a shop sell custom lids with 1.5" TC. Wondering i guess you ferment on a fermentation chamber, i have the best results fermenting with a thermowell for precise temperature. I am thinking on a smart solution as using a Tilt to check remote temperature control.
Yeah, ferm chamber is a temp controlled chest freezer. I haven't used a thermowell yet. I keep my temp prob strapped to a can of seltzer under a layer of reflectix.

I am loving the TC connection for my dry hopper, though!!

Yeah, ferm chamber is a temp controlled chest freezer. I haven't used a thermowell yet. I keep my temp prob strapped to a can of seltzer under a layer of reflectix.

I am loving the TC connection for my dry hopper, though!!

Agreed for dry hoping is a game changer!.

So it looks like the reason for reversing the bail is that there is not enough clearance to attach anything to the triclamp otherwise? I wonder if that problem could be also be solved with an extended fitting like this one I found on AliExpress. I'm planning to give it a try because I would like to fit this on a lid with a two handle keg... Hopefully it will be long enough.

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/2251832657534441.html?gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt

Attachments

• TRICLAMP.jpg
    TRICLAMP.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 0
So it looks like the reason for reversing the bail is that there is not enough clearance to attach anything to the triclamp otherwise? I wonder if that problem could be also be solved with an extended fitting like this one I found on AliExpress. I'm planning to give it a try because I would like to fit this on a lid with a two handle keg... Hopefully it will be long enough.

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/2251832657534441.html?gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt
Oh, that might do it for you! Even with the reversed bail, the clamp itself can still be a little tricky.

The extension has its own potential limitations, too. You want it to be tall enough to early get the clamp on, but not too tall that the bail can't flip over it.

Oh, that might do it for you! Even with the reversed bail, the clamp itself can still be a little tricky.

The extension has its own potential limitations, too. You want it to be tall enough to early get the clamp on, but not too tall that the bail can't flip over it.
I appreciate the feedback. I just got the lid in the mail and am waiting on the triclamp bulkhead being shipped from china. This AEB carbonation lid has the pressure release valve on the opposite side as normal. Hopefully I can drill out the side with the ball lock. That should mean that the bail will not need to flip over the triclamp. So far it looks like there should be enough space (you can see the 41mm drill bit in the second pic). I will provide an update on how this fits after the tc bulkhead arrives.

Attachments

• 8DBEE4FA-8887-4465-AF09-2576B74AF56E.jpeg
    8DBEE4FA-8887-4465-AF09-2576B74AF56E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • AEC823C8-5C98-4CCF-BB3C-EDECF358860F.jpeg
    AEC823C8-5C98-4CCF-BB3C-EDECF358860F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Any update on how this worked out?
I appreciate the feedback. I just got the lid in the mail and am waiting on the triclamp bulkhead being shipped from china. This AEB carbonation lid has the pressure release valve on the opposite side as normal. Hopefully I can drill out the side with the ball lock. That should mean that the bail will not need to flip over the triclamp. So far it looks like there should be enough space (you can see the 41mm drill bit in the second pic). I will provide an update on how this fits after the tc bulkhead arrives.

Back