Cornelius and Firestone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaldManBrew

Reaction score
They are two different companies that make two different styles of kegs correct? Firestone is Cokes that is shorter and fatter? Does Cornelius make Firestone style kegs?

Sorry if this is confusing, but I'm looking to buy a Firestone keg kit (because it's shorter), with Ball lock connectors, and will buy the ball lock conversion posts at Cornykeg.com

are you asking if there are ball lock kegs that are the shorter fatter ones?

i have some i can sell you. or i think they make conversion kits you can buy. i'l not positive on that though.

cornelius and firestone both made both ball lock and pin lock kegs. Just by knowing the manufacturer it doesn't tell you what kind of connections you need.

If you are looking for shorter kegs, you are looking for pin lock kegs. they can be converted to ball lock, but you can't determine size by who made them.

when the SS kegs were first produced for the SODA industry there were two types.

Ball Lock used for PEPSI these were taller and thinner

and

Pin Lock used for COKE these where slightly shorter and fatter.

there are several different manufactures of these kegs, but a Cornelius keg can be a "Ball Lock" or "Pin Lock"

-=Jason=-

The main difference between them is:

Cornelius - uses 19/32-18" threading for the posts - on both the gas and liquid.

Firestone- uses 5/8-18" for the liquid and 9/16"-18 for the gas.

Wow thanks guys, I was mistaken. I thought they were two different companies and styles, you've cleared it up for me thanks

Excellent info here ...my friend just brought me 2 kegs and doesn't know what they are so now I can figure it out and refurbish them. Thanks for the info!

Found this elsewhere - maybe its helpful.

Firestone V Challenger, Firestone VI Challenger, Firestone Super Challenger
Gas 9/16"-18
Liquid 5/8" -18

Cornelius Spartan & Super Champion
Gas 19/32" - 18
Liquid 19/32" - 18

Cornelius R (pin lock)
Gas 19/32" - 18 (2-pin)
Liquid 19/32" - 18 (3-pin)

John Wood 85, Firestone Challenger
Gas 11/16" - 18
Liquid 3/4" - 18

Firestone A, Firestone R, John Wood RA, John Wood RC (pin lock)
Liquid 9/16" - 18 (2-pin)
Gas 9/16" - 18 (3-pin)

Back