Corn, wheat and rye in the malt bill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultimatenic

Reaction score
I'm brewing a golden/blonde/cream/pale ale- (not sure what category this beer would fall in)
Would like to use about 15% corn, rye and wheat and wondering if anyone's tired something like this and/or if they would clash at all?

I brewed a saison with about 15% wheat and 10% corn (from what I can recall without seeing my notes), and it turned out pretty well. I did notice a bit of a vinegary, cidery flavor, which I think was probably the corn (somebody correct me if this seems wrong), so I may tone it down a bit the next time. I haven't had experience with rye in the mix though, but if you fill out the rest of the grain bill with base malt and use saison yeast, that seems along the lines of a rye saison.

Corn does not give off a vinegary or cidery flavor, it is definitely a corn flavor. Vinegar makes it sound like an infection.

To address OP, it seems like a muddy mix of flavors you would be getting from all those, to me at least.

Latest posts

Back