Corn Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jetsona

Reaction score
Is corn sugar the same thing as corn starch?
That's all I could come with after visiting 4 grocery stores.
Has anyone bought this from a local grocery?
Thanks

Corn sugar and corn starch are two different items. I have heard that some folks have found corn sugar in health food stores.

Why do you need it? If you need it for bottling, you can use any type of sugar. If you need it to add to a beer, there are other possibilities too.

Apfel wine recipe.
Did search and old threads said better to use coorn sgar than a substitute.
Guess I will go to Orgasmic Harvest tomorrow.

Dextrose is not the same as glucose if I remember correctly.

You're right, corn sugar is dextrose and not the same thing as sucrose.

For priming purposes, regular table sugar will work just as well as corn sugar, so don't waste too much time if you can't find corn sugar. Just use 15-20% less (by weight).

DO NOT PUT CORN STARCH IN YOUR APFELWEIN!

Sorry for yelling, but they are not the same. They're not alike in any way. Corn starch is used for making gravy. It makes things thicker.

Dextrose is not the same as glucose if I remember correctly.

Dextrose and glucose are the same thing. Glucose is the official name of the chemical, and dextrose one that used to be used in the medical field but still is used in the food industry. Sucrose is different, being a slightly more complex sugar. Table sugar is sucrose, which is a different sugar, and as stated you can use it where you would use glucose, just a bit less.

Corn starch is what corn sugar is made from, but the process involves using enzymes to break it down into sugar. Since your beer/apfelwein/whatever lacks those enzymes, it's useless. (You could technically add corn starch to the mash in an all-grain beer recipe, but I have no idea why you would want to.) :)

Back